Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-12-26 03:22:38

apox101

Confirmation window before deleting files?

Hello,

i recently installed XFCE (with Thunar 0.9.3 as file browser) with Suse 11.1,. So far XFCE is pretty neat for me, but I do miss a confirmation window when deleting files....something like "do you really want to move file XYZ to the trash?". Right now it only beeps on the PC speaker and moves it to the trash without further notice. I find it rather annoying to always go to the trash can if I delete something accidentaly. Plus I'm working on stuff for university so I always want to be double sure before I delete any file. :-)

Is there such a setting to display a confirmation dialogue window? Thanks!

#2 2008-12-26 06:48:42

SimonJ
Website

Re: Confirmation window before deleting files?

I don't know if there is or not, but surely you just looking at what you're deleting would be a better option? I prefer the system doing what it's told without asking if I am sure about it.

Simon.                                                         (^_^)

TIP: Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.
=====================================================================

#3 2008-12-26 08:54:01

Pindakoe

Thunar will not bother you with 'Are you sure' type of questions unless the action is irreversible. So if you press delete it will delete the file i.e. move it into the trash from where you can easily undelete it. However, if you press shift-delete it will ask whether you are sure and only when confirmed delete the file. This is a true delete. which cannot easily be reversed.

#4 2008-12-26 11:40:54

apox101

greetings,

Well, I liked it better the way it was in KDE (assuming it can't be tweaked in XFCE). Anyways, thank you for your time and help! smile

#5 2008-12-30 11:18:19

Invisible

I do also prefer it this way, in fact I have windows configured in such a way that it will not as me either when moving files to the trash. I mean, you probably delete by mistake less times than correctly, it is logical to employ more time in mistakes (looking in the trash) than doing in correct times (saying yes).

I would like to is the rm command to move the files to the trash, tough.

#6 2008-12-30 15:48:28

Pindakoe

The only thing I know that offers you a trash(can) type function at the command line is by installing libtrash. This intercepts certain libc calls unless the delete activity is in certain path (/tmp, /mnt, /media are examples where you usually do not mind deletes). I have used it in the past, then had some incurable issues, found the project dormant and gave up. It seems to have come to life, so may be worthwhile a try.

#7 2009-01-07 21:24:56

adamlau

You can use a UCA such as:

zenity --question;if [$? = 0];then rm -rf %F;fi

Feel free to substitute Xdialog  smile .

#8 2009-06-27 20:19:21

sune

I would prefer a warning message as well, at least make it an option in the thunar preferences. My delete key is very close to the arrow keys and it happens quite often that I hit delete by accident so I always have to carefully check my trash before i empty it.

I've noticed that nautilus from gnome has the same behaviour as thunar in this respect, whereas PcFileMan and Konquerer shows a warning message on delete (however i hate KDE and PcFileMan is sort of immature so these are not options).

Would be that difficult to implement this feature in thunar as a setting in the prefs?  Or is it actually possible to disable or change the DEL key action  (i can live with delete-using-menu if that solves the issue) ?

thanks

Sune

#9 2010-09-09 16:46:51

alcresio

So,
there's no way to hack something in order by get the confirmation works????
I know, many people hates the confirmation windows, but other hates lose his file!!!

#10 2011-04-05 12:06:59

LaneLester

I prefer having both trash-delete and true-delete as menu items. I believe Nautilus had that as an option, but not Thunar. I mostly use EmelFM2 for that and other reasons. I have it set to "no prompt" for trash and "prompt" for delete.

Lane

#11 2011-04-19 09:04:28

Nick
Dev
Website

You never loose files without confirmation. It's either moved to the trash (which requires a number of extra clicks before deleting) or Shift+delete will prompt. Never a good idea to show too many dialogs, because if you do, people tend to not read them anymore and just press enter.

You can also change the delete key iirc by enabling editable menu accelerators in the appearance dialog, hover the delete action in the thunar menu and press the new shortcut.

#12 2011-04-20 19:10:08

Havoc

Can you set it to shift-delete without warning as well? I have no problem with deleting without warning because it is reversible. So accidentally deleting by hitting the key isn't an issue. But I don't want a message when shift-deleting either. You actually have to press that knowing what will happen.

Board footer