Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-05-11 10:13:58

alun_sundry

Indicator plugin doesn't theme correctly

I think this may be as much about gtk as anything else, but maybe the Xfce team and users might agree there's incentive to solve it first. On panels in both Gnome and Xfce the Indicator applet doesn't theme correctly with many if not most themes. In Xubuntu 11.04 for example the applet doesn't receive transparency if that's set. Imagine a gtkrc-2.0 file with the right compensation in it could put this right. I have been sometimes successful with this sort of thing but I don't know what xfce4-indicator-plugin would identify as in a gtkrc-2.0 file as using its own title or indicator-applet doesn't work.

I have Clearlooks Classic installed at the moment and that, though long in the tooth, is the most consistent theme for me, but I do like Nodoka, which has other issues including what I describe. Opening menus in the indicator applet shows that the PRELIGHTing doesn't work properly - the prelit part turns blue but the text stays black. Nodoka is otherwise the most tasteful and contemporary-looking gtk theme.

Obviously some people don't have interest in this sort of thing but with Gnome 2 about to croak it would be great to sort out these long-standing rough edges, and though the bugs go beyond how they work with Xfce they do involve Xfce functions/aesthetics too as described.

Any tips or solutions welcome. Thanks. If it is nothing at all to do with Xfce and I should file a bug at Launchpad can someone tell me.

Last edited by alun_sundry (2011-05-13 18:04:31)

#2 2011-05-16 21:53:10

herd
Website

Re: Indicator plugin doesn't theme correctly

As far as I can see, the panel transparency has been improved for a number of plugins but not for all.

Please file a bug at launchpad if it not already exists, I'd welcome to tick the 'affects me too' button too.

#3 2011-05-17 15:31:21

Nick
Dev
Website

Re: Indicator plugin doesn't theme correctly

There is a hack in the panel plugin macros to improve transparency in some plugins. For this you need to recompile the plugin against  xfce4-panel >= 4.8.1.

Board footer