Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-05-23 13:22:08

tigernassau

reading markdown in thunar

I cannot find a file association in Thunar for clicking on a markdown file (ie github readme)  - what are others doing for this ?

#2 2011-05-24 02:35:16

nevarmaor

Re: reading markdown in thunar

What exactly are you wanting to do with the file? Markdown files are just text files you can read in a text editor. If you are looking to convert it to html first that's more complicated. You need to convert the file using a markdown converter tool, then open the new converted file in a browser.

As markdown is intended to be highly readable as source text just open in your favourite text editor. That's what I do.

#3 2011-05-24 12:34:04

tigernassau

nevarmaor wrote:

What exactly are you wanting to do with the file? Markdown files are just text files you can read in a text editor. If you are looking to convert it to html first that's more complicated. You need to convert the file using a markdown converter tool, then open the new converted file in a browser.

As markdown is intended to be highly readable as source text just open in your favourite text editor. That's what I do.

1) how do we associate *.md with an editor ie mousepad - did not see a "file associations" dialog

2) markdown can be read as text but "prettier" when read with markdown converter for display features - not sure what gnome was using for this

#4 2011-05-24 16:04:49

Nick
Dev
Website

Right-click the file, open with...., select app and enable the checkbox.

#5 2011-05-24 20:33:19

tigernassau

Nick wrote:

Right-click the file, open with...., select app and enable the checkbox.

hmm,  right-click is not good with one-button macbooks (and tricky with touchpad settins which I currently have taps turned off to avoid cursor jumping) 

ps: and what would app be for nicely displaying markdown ?

Board footer