Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-06-04 13:31:33

Ailurus

Save ftp:// and smb:// shortcuts in Thunar

Hi,

Is it somehow possible to save the smb:// and ftp:// shortcuts in Thunar? I create the shortcuts by dragging the contents of the location selector to the side pane, to the shortcut area. Then I can use it until I reboot.

By the way, I'm used to open my ftp by typing

ftp://username:password@domain.something

But when I try this in Thunar, a dialog appears which asks me the password for user "username:password". Of course I can login by just typing

ftp://domain.something

But the previous version would be rather useful to use as a shortcut. Should I change some settings somewhere?

#2 2011-06-04 20:47:08

ManOfSteel

Re: Save ftp:// and smb:// shortcuts in Thunar

Ailurus wrote:

Is it somehow possible to save the smb:// and ftp:// shortcuts in Thunar? I create the shortcuts by dragging the contents of the location selector to the side pane, to the shortcut area. Then I can use it until I reboot.

Try this: open ~/.gtk-bookmarks with a text editor and add the URL.
N.B.: make sure there's an empty line at the end of the file.

Ailurus wrote:

I'm used to open my ftp by typing

ftp://username:password@domain.something

But when I try this in Thunar, a dialog appears which asks me the password for user "username:password".

Automation often tends to be abused sooner or later. This way of logging in has been abused in the past in web browsers, the username:password being replaced with a trusted domain, e.g. ftp://google.com@spamming-and-phishing.com.
Just saying...

#3 2011-06-05 09:09:53

Ailurus

Thanks for your reply! The URL was already in the .gtk-bookmarks file, however without an empty line. I added this empty line, but still it doesn't show in the side pane. Perhaps a dependency I'm missing?

#4 2011-06-05 10:25:43

ManOfSteel

Hmm, since I'm still using the old version, I didn't know that [t]he shortcuts pane was not updated in Thunar 1.2 despite the functionality added by GIO, such as the availability to mount archives or browse remote locations.

But fortunately, work is being done to fix that, as you can see on the blog article dated just yesterday.

#5 2011-06-05 13:25:07

Ailurus

Ah that looks excellent, suppose I just have to wait a little longer smile.

Board footer