Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-07-10 17:50:49

urban

can't get xfce4-kbd-layout plugin to work

Hello,

a little background is probably a good idea...

I"ve been a Fedora/Gnome user forever.  I can't get used to Gnome-3 though, so I looked around, and Xfce seemed like it might be an alternative.

I newly installed Fedora-15 (x86_64) on my hardware, which until then was running Fedora-13 and I was using Gnome.  Without worrying about various config files created by Gnome, I switched to Xfce.  i can't get it to be the default desktop manager, so I've made systemd's default target multi-user.target.  Then I log in on a virtual terminal and run "startxfce4".

I need to be able to switch keyboard layouts between english and german.  To that end I installed the xfce4-kbd-layout plugin, but it just won't work correctlyl.

If I right-click on the plugin in the panel, I can click on "Properties" and get a "Keyboard Layouts" configuration window. I can set "Keyboard model", "Change layout option", and "Compose key position", but "Keyboard model" is alwas blank after I close and re-open the Properties-window.  I can also add an additional layout using the "Add" button, and the layout appears in the "Keyboard Layouts" list, but the additional layout is always gone after closing and re-opening the Properties-window.

Have I done something wrong?  Does this plugin work correctly?  At all?

Btw, I left the other settings ("Show layout as" and "Manage layout") at their defaults, "image" and "per application", respectively.

For completeness, I should add that I did a regular F15 installation, which included Gnome.  Then I installed the Xfce packages afterwards, and I also removed pulseaudio ("yum remove pulseaudio"), as it just doesn't seem to work. Gnome is building ever more dependencies onto pulseaudio, and one of the packages I saw gurlgling down the drain with my "remove" command was "gnome-shell". as well as "gnome-panel", "bluez", "gnome-bluetooth". I wouldn't expect this to affect Xfce, but who knows?

Also interesting: I can set my layout to german using "setxkbmap -layout de", but the layout is back to "us" as soon as the mouse focus goes to another terminal window and back.

cheers,

Rob

#2 2011-07-10 19:43:50

Nick
Dev
Website

Re: can't get xfce4-kbd-layout plugin to work

I know a lot of fixes when into xkb recently (released in 0.5.4.1), not sure if those are related to your problems.

Board footer