Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-07-11 18:55:51

Dr.Optix

Hello from Dr.Optix

Hi,

I'm Dr.Optix (Twitter | Blog). I consider myself a geek, programmer, wannabe designer, linux user and security enthusiast. I use LMDE (Linux Mint Debian Edition) as my main OS.

I'm in the middle of transition from Gnome to XFCE and by registering here I want to ask some questions so that my transition will be complete.

1) I want to try and patch the sources to add the ability to drag'n'drop desktop icons anywhere I want and not just on the actual grid cells. This matter is what keeps me on a hibrid of XFCE and Gnome atm.

I want some suggestions regarding this matter. What should I study to add this feature: xfdesktop or thunar?

NOTE: I will try to build the GIT to see if the free drag'n'drop feature is there if not I will begin my quest smile

2) Another thing I want to modify is the "Show Desktop" panel applet. I want to make it work like the Gnome counterpart.

That's my story until now. Maybe I will not get discouraged and I'll be able to finish what I listed above.

Bug free code!
~Dr.Optix

#2 2011-07-12 09:07:31

Nick
Dev
Website

Re: Hello from Dr.Optix

For 1 you find the code in xfdesktop; however, this will probably not land in xfdesktop master because we want to make the desktop a plugin for thunar. See the roadm for 4.10 for more details.

2, what does the Gnome version differ from the version in Xfce?

#3 2011-07-12 10:08:35

Dr.Optix

Re: Hello from Dr.Optix

1) Well it's more as a challenge personal. This means that if I manage to write some code it will only be for personal testing.
I will carefully check that road map too.

2) I upgraded + tested it and now it works how I want. In othe words [SOLVED] smile. Now I have to see what I'll be able to do with xfdesktop

Board footer