Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-06-30 10:05:45

artyb

[Solved] KDE services problem

Hi,

Think this is the best forum to post in.

I've been using xfce for ~5 years, thanks for all the hard work-fast & comfortable result.

A few weeks ago we had a power cut so the machine was abruptly powered down. I'm running Debian stable, with xfce packages (4.6.2) from there.

xfce now hangs on login at the "Starting KDE services" notification of the splashscreen. I've tried a lot of the usual approaches to fixing this, but am now at a loss, so asking for help.

Disabling the "Start KDE services at login" option allows xfce to start fine.

I created a new user login on the machine to test, that can start KDE services fine from xfce startup.

I've reinstalled a lot of the xfce and kde binaries.

I've deleted (after backing up for future reference) the ~/.config/xfce4 directories and ~/.cache/sessions so they are recreated.

I've also deleted the autostart directory and ~/.kde

Still this user has a crash on KDE services startup. The process using 100% cpu is kbuildsycoca. Upon switching to a text console and killing it kded then starts and uses 100% cpu. Upon killing that xfce4 starts OK, and I can switch back to the graphical session.

Obviously I have a work-around to disable KDE services startup on login, but I'd like to get to the bottom of it.

Thanks in advance for suggestions/info to debug further or fix it.

BTW I'll be away from the machine for ~2 weeks, so can only try things out after that.

A

#2 2011-09-13 19:45:56

artyb

Re: [Solved] KDE services problem

Hi,

This problem has affected 2 machines now, and so I'd really like to sort it out, but haven't received any replies. Please tell me if you need further info or what else I could do to debug the issue.

Thanks,
A

#3 2011-09-27 14:26:22

artyb

Re: [Solved] KDE services problem

Hi,

I think I've finally managed to track down the issue and fix it. I thought I'd post what I've done here in case other people have the same issue.
I found:
http://forums.opensuse.org/archives/nov … shing.html

Which pointed me to /tmp and /var/tmp which have kde files for different users.
In /var/tmp there is kdecache-'user'
In /tmp/user/'number' there is kde-'user'

Deleting these has solved the problem.

A

Board footer