Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-10-12 16:20:28

ghost

A Question

This is my first post here so a big Hello to everyone, I’ve been using xfce for a number of years at first on older pc’s but more recently on netbooks with Zenwalk and #!, but due to a number of issues I had with stability and usability on Gnome shell/3, Unity!, and KDE 4x I’ve installed Xubuntu to my main laptop which I use for work and it’s a perfect fit for me, however now that I use it nearly all of the time and it’s on a large screen I’ve started to play with the settings a lot more, I’ve changed the default icons in the “application launcher panel” to ones that I find a bit prettier and altered the top panel so it has what I need there, and I would like to do the same to the “removable drive icon” on the desktop, in Gnome 2x this was easy just right click on the drive, select properties, and click the icon to change it to whatever you wanted, however this option isn’t available in xfce (it may be but I can’t find it), the best I’ve found by searching these forums and googling is to change the default icon in usr/share/pixmaps which had no effect, and I’m not really into “themes" and I haven’t downloaded any of those I also don’t use compiz as it’s for work and I need it as stable as possible, so I was hoping that (A) someone can understand what the hell I’m on about, and (B) point me in the right direction.

And (C) this isn’t a criticism of xfce just a genuine quest for knowledge so please don’t flame me, I’d be quite satisfied if I couldn’t change the icon, as I say xfce is a nice and comfy fit for for me and I really hope it doesn’t go down the touchy/tablet, widget, lenses, Activities’s route of the other D. E’s

Thanks in advance

#2 2011-10-14 12:58:37

angstrom

Re: A Question

The icon used for "removable drive" is the one used by your gtk theme icon. To change it, first try to identify your current icon theme.
- Open the Xfce setting manager (xfce4-settings-manager) > Appearance > Icons
- Once you have the icon theme name, go in /usr/share/icons/<your_theme>/<a_size>/devices
- Look at all icons and identify the icons that are used for your "Remove drive".
- Change them with your icon image
- Run gtk-update-icon-cache

There is maybe a simplier way ...

Last edited by angstrom (2011-10-14 12:59:46)

Xfce is NOT Xubuntu. Bugs in Xubuntu don't mean that Xfce is buggy ...

#3 2011-10-15 14:03:21

ghost

Thanks Angstrom, I'd already changed the default icon for the theme to one I liked better, I don't mind the default icon's really, it's just that I'm planning on running an xfce desktop on my main (tower) pc, it's currently Debian squeeze with gnome 2, and with gnome2 I can give each internal Hdd or removable usb drive, mp3 player etc it's own unique icon, it made picking the right device pretty easy, and with the end of gnome 2 in sight I've been experimenting with different D.e's, and I've pretty much settled on xfce, as it's the closest to what I'm used to, plus it's blisteringly fast, I didn't realise quite how fast it was until I'd installed it on a modern laptop with a dual core processor, and I'm really enjoying the ride!.

but yes you're right maybe there is a simpler way.

#4 2011-10-15 16:33:20

ComputerBob
Website

Welcome to the forums! I hope that you become a regular member, but please try to use some periods to make your postings easier to read. Your first post contains the longest sentence I've ever read. Your second post contains the second-longest sentence I've ever read. Seriously, I wanted to read them, but I got tired of trying to follow your train of thought.

ComputerBob - Making Geek-Speak Chic (TM)
ComputerBob.com - Nearly 6,000 Posts and 22 Million Views
My Ministry
Help! (off-topic)

#5 2011-10-15 19:05:14

ghost

"periods" ?, there's comma's a-pleanty, (ah! period's = fullstop's). yeah ok. I'll do that & use shorter sentences.
Sorry people didn't mean to bore you to death probably why I've only got two replies, and one of those is about my punctuation.
Computerbob everyone has trouble following my train of thought, even the cat hates me!.

#6 2011-10-15 23:09:33

ComputerBob
Website

I think cats are afraid of ghosts. Except black cats.

ComputerBob - Making Geek-Speak Chic (TM)
ComputerBob.com - Nearly 6,000 Posts and 22 Million Views
My Ministry
Help! (off-topic)

#7 2011-10-16 21:40:44

ghost

well she's black & white and spits at me as she has a cold and I'm the one who has to shove tablets down her throat, wifey dearest thinks it's funny

Board footer