Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-11-01 05:46:52

osjak

No "Connect to server..." in xfce's Thunar. Ideas?

Hi All,

I have been using Gnome on my Ubuntu desktop and had many different server connections bookmarked in Nautilus file manager. That was a handy way to connect to servers of different types - ftp, ssh, scp-only etc. I didn't have to have different clients for different types of connections, everything was done in Nautilus.

Yesterday I have switched from Gnome to xfce. I love how my old desktop feels light and alive. I am trying to figure out a simple way to set up those server connections, but the Thunar file manager xfce uses does not have the "Connect to server..." functionality built in as Nautilus does. I am sure I am not the first person to deal with this. Searching does not produce anything useful. Can anyone point me in the right direction please? Is there a way in xfce to have all types of server connections pre set in the file manager?

Thank you.

PS: My desktop - Ubuntu 9.10, xfce4

#2 2009-11-01 08:46:53

s0ulslack

Re: No "Connect to server..." in xfce's Thunar. Ideas?

With the current stable releases that isn't possible.  Your gonna have to use Gigolo (http://www.uvena.de/gigolo/) for the time being.  Xfce 4.8 will (actually all the thunar git stuff now is GIO based and should support what you want) support similar functions via GIO, as mentioned above smile

#3 2009-11-01 09:30:03

ManOfSteel

You can find some info on 4.8 on Jannis Pohlmann's blog: http://gezeiten.org/post/2009/09/Xfce-4 … nformation

Planned Features

[...]

thunar
Finish the migration to GIO/GVfs. Among other features, this will give us network browsing (windows shares, SSH, FTP etc.).

#4 2011-10-24 00:00:46

mootster

Thanks for the advice.  I had the same question.

#5 2011-10-27 08:18:55

jannis
Website

In Xfce 4.8 (Thunar >= 1.2.0) you can open remote locations by typing their URIs into the location bar/dialog. However, we don't have a dedicated "connect to server" dialog yet and also you can't bookmark remote locations properly yet. The latter will be fixed in Xfce 4.10.

#6 2011-10-28 16:25:23

paolo321

I use a small script like this: not nice like using real bookmarks, but it seems to work..
Add a row for every site; it would have been nice to parse the existing .gtk-bookmarks file or anyway use an external file... But I didn't want to work too much for a temporary workaround :-)

#!/bin/bash
URL=$(zenity --list --radiolist --print-column=3 --hide-column=3 --hide-header \
--column "radio" --column "name" --column "keyword" \
FALSE 'SITE_NAME_1' 'SITE_URI_1' \
)
thunar "$URL"

Board footer