Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-10-26 09:09:16

NightSky

[Solved] Compile Digikam for Xfce

Can Digikam be compiled for Xfce 4.6.2?  What is a good Xfce substitute for digikam?

#2 2011-10-28 20:07:56

mike555

Re: [Solved] Compile Digikam for Xfce

shotwell is good , gThumb is good......... Digikam can be installed ,but installs a bunch of KDE stuff that will slow your computer down.

#3 2011-10-29 20:08:58

Sideburns
Website

Thank you.  I've been using digiKam for quite a while, because it was all I knew about.  I'm installing shotwell now, and if it works, I'll get rid of digiKam and all of its baggage.  (I hope.)

Registered Linux user #470359
Permanently recovered BOFH
Any advice in this post is worth exactly what you paid for it.

#4 2011-11-07 23:06:20

NightSky

Thank you. Not interested in KDE's over head in dependencies. However, with desired graphic and communications apps for XFce, ie. PidginVV there are loads of Gnome dependencies.  Also many of the useful apps are much older leaving questions of backward compatibility? Hope Xfce is not trading off having a shinny new DM/WM for X - Apps functionality.  Right now I am struggling with xcam configuration documentation. Google churns up all kind of non-sense for xcam.  Will give shotwell and gthumb a spin. Geeqie is solid of uploading and viewing images off my camera, need a lite photo organizational tool. An xdictionary like in mac would be productive. lol  Appreciate all the hard work put in by XFCE Team.  Wish i were more tech savvy to help out.

Board footer