Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-11-11 11:07:53

tomac

[Solved] Hidden files shown by default in open/save file dialogs

Hi all,

Whenever I use open or save file dialog in XFCE, the hidden files are shown by default and I have to hit CTRL-H to hide them. It happens everytime I open one of these dialog windows (so change made by CTRL-H is not permanent). Does anyone know if there is some way to hide by default files with names starting with dot?

I've just checked and it seems that it applies only to GTK+ applications - in Kate (which, as far as I know, uses Qt toolkit) files are by default hidden in open/save dialogs.

#2 2011-11-11 13:11:00

cwickert
Website

Re: [Solved] Hidden files shown by default in open/save file dialogs

For me the setting from right click in the file area of the dialog -> "Show hidden files" is correctly remembered.

Xfce maintainer for Fedora.

#3 2011-11-11 13:52:26

tomac

Re: [Solved] Hidden files shown by default in open/save file dialogs

Unfortunately, it does not get remembered for me. I should have mentioned that I'm using Xfce 4.8 running on Debian Testing.

But - fortunately - I was able to find a solution. I opened ~/.config/gtk-2.0/gtkfilechooser.ini and in [Filechooser Settings] section I set value of ShowHidden property to false - so now it looks like:

[Filechooser Settings]
ShowHidden=false

... rest of the file ...

Still, this setting does not get updated when I close open/save dialog with hidden files shown (although my user have read/write access to gtkfilechooser.ini file), but current state is perfectly fine for me.

Last edited by tomac (2011-11-11 13:54:57)

Board footer