Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-11-15 12:51:20

xfcelav
Website

Thunar tabs and format usb.

I wonder why Thunar developers still do not include tabs in this great file manager. Nautilus, Dolphin, even PCManFM, has tabs.

Pcmanfm for example is a lightweight file manager, and has tabs. Why then Thunar does not? If the answer is to add tabs to Thunar decreases performance, I think there could be two alternatives:

- Or you can enable the use of 2 panels, as in Nautilus.
- Or you can limit the use of only 2 tabs.

I think it's time for developers to think about it. Having to open a window for each folder gives me the feeling that I'm using Windows XP/Vista/7.

The other thing I wanted to say was that Thunar had the option to format USB flash drives. I know this can be done with Gparted or through the terminal, but for the end user would be more comfortable Do not you think?

Do not take this as a criticism but as a suggestion. big_smile

url: blog.desdelinux.net
twt: @elavdeveloper

#2 2011-11-15 13:16:39

angstrom

Re: Thunar tabs and format usb.

About thunar tabs, already discussed here. It's not exactly about tabs but the philosophy is the same I think. See also on the xfce-dev mailing list. The thread Gtk+3

Thunar is a file manager. If you want to format/partition, you use a partionner tool.
I know there will always be a debate between those how use a telephone to make call and a camera to shoot photos and those who use smartphone ...

Last edited by angstrom (2011-11-15 13:26:16)

Xfce is NOT Xubuntu. Bugs in Xubuntu don't mean that Xfce is buggy ...

#3 2014-02-04 03:04:52

Stormsight

Re: Thunar tabs and format usb.

hello, id like to know if the opinion on the "format" matter has changed:
i am using xubuntu 13.10, and it doesnt have any program that can format a drive installed by default, i know it can be done from the terminal, but its a bit prohibitive for new users such as myself, and im not completely comfortable using disks or gparted to format an external drive knowing i can make quite some damage.
i wonder if anyone shares the opinion of this post:
http://xfce.10915.n7.nabble.com/Re-Xfce … d9746.html from here

Last edited by Stormsight (2014-02-04 03:08:01)

Board footer