Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-12-15 21:30:23

lightstream

[Solved] Disabled display, can't get it back

First thing I tried to do after installing XFCE was change the screen res to match my monitor. The display dialog had two screens showing - one labeled 'laptop', and the other 'Viewsonic bla'. As this is not a laptop, and my screen is indeed the Viewsonic bla, I unchecked the 'Use this display' option next to 'Laptop'.

My screen then went black, and will not come back. There was no countdown 'Do you want to keep these settings' dialog, although I guess there might have been (the screen was blank) and possibly I accidentally told it 'yes' in my blind flailings. What I meant to do was press Esc, but I may have pressed some button previously that activated a 'Yes' option. Or maybe there is no double-check dialog at all! Either way, I can't get XFCE to show up any more. Rebooting the machine doesn't work - the screen just shuts down saying 'No signal'

#2 2011-12-17 06:13:11

stqn

Re: [Solved] Disabled display, can't get it back

I'm not sure at all that it'll work, but you could try to edit ~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/displays.xml (maybe from a live USB key or CD) to activate your original display again.

#3 2011-12-17 18:37:28

lightstream

Re: [Solved] Disabled display, can't get it back

Thanks - this did fix the problem. Somehow the display config file there had the Laptop marked as Active and the Viewsonic as inactive - quite how that happened I don't know. All's good now cheers.

Board footer