Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-01-21 03:54:15

Guillatine

Lack of Ubuntu Software Center

Hello everyone,

I am newer to Linux, noob, but have done some android programming and feel at home with Linux Terminal scripts. I am just trying to find a happy medium for a distro that offers great options for media production with a friendly interface. Ubuntu Studio sparked my interest but ran into an issue and I am not sure if it is an XFCE or Ubuntu Studio concern. I read something on a forum elsewhere that said that with XFCE, the project was moving away from the Ubuntu Software Center. It was very open and was unclear to what they were referring to. I pm the poster but no respsone for some time now.

I have fresh install of Ubuntu Studio 11.10 and no Ubuntu Software Center. XFCE is 4.8 and was installed with the distro. Any information that I found said to install via the Synaptic Package Installer. Which I do not want to waste my time pulling up additional information that the Ubuntu Software Center would normal show.

Is the lack of Software Center dealing with XFCE straight install with OS or just a faulty packing by team UbuntuStudio? Should I just spend the time and install Ubuntu 11.10 then add updates for packages to make it Studio and install custom Kernel?  I am finding little information on Ubuntu Studio. I just do not want to spend added time with full manual install of components if it wont work. I feel that something is leaving a bitter taste in my mouth with XFCE, but I truly love the simplicity yet added features it offers. Any suggestions or information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

#2 2012-01-21 19:01:31

secipolla

Re: Lack of Ubuntu Software Center

I suppose you can install it with something like 'sudo apt-get install software-center'
Anyway this has nothing to do with Xfce.
http://ubuntustudio.org/support

Board footer