Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-01-26 21:19:01

heptapod

[Solved] I cant add custom launchers to the panel

I cant add custom launchers to the panel, nor edit existing ones. This started happening since upgrading from 4.6 to 4.8.0.3.

I can right click on the panel and then choose Panel -> Add new items -> Launcher. This creates a new empty launcher with a red cross as an icon. I then right click on this icon and choose properties and click the plus sign. This allows me to choose from a number of ready made launchers, but not to to type in a custom program to use. If I choose one of the given alternatives the edit button (notepad icon) becomes available. However if I click this button nothing happens.

Im running Debian Squeeze (stable system with XFCE4 from backports). Here are the versions for the XFCE apps:

xfce4 4.8.0.3                                                                                                                                     
xfce4-appfinder 4.8.0-3                                                                                                                           
xfce4-mixer 4.8.0-2                                                                                                                               
xfce4-notifyd 0.2.2-1                                                                                                                             
xfce4-panel 4.8.6-1                                                                                                                               
xfce4-session 4.8.2-3                                                                                                                             
xfce4-settings 4.8.3-1                                                                                                                           
xfce4-utils 4.8.3-1                                                                                                                               
xfce4-volumed 0.1.13-2+b1

Edit: I started xfce4-panel in a terminal and tried doing the same thing. This is what happens when I try to edit a newly created launcher (by pressing the icon with a notepad):
(xfce4-mixer-plugin:19411): xfce4-mixer-plugin-DEBUG: mixer_plugin->track_label = 'Master'
exo-desktop-item-edit: file:///home/user/.config/xfce4/panel/launcher-17/13276146171.desktop: No such file or directory

But this file does exists:
user@comp ~/.config/xfce4/panel/launcher-17
>>>ls -l
total 4
-rw-r--r-- 1 user user 310 Jan 26 22:50 13276146171.desktop

Could it be a permissions problem?
Permissions for launcher-17 directory: drwx------
Permissions for panel directory: drwx------
Permissions for xfce4 directory: drwxr-xr-x
Permissions for .config directory: drwxr-xr-x
All are owned by the user running xfce4.

Last edited by heptapod (2012-01-26 22:04:20)

#2 2012-01-28 02:42:44

heptapod

Re: [Solved] I cant add custom launchers to the panel

I purged all XFCE packages. I then removed all config files from my home directory related to XFCE4 such as ~/.config/xfce4 ~/.config/xfce4-session ~/.config/Thunar etc. I then reinstalled XFCE4 again and now it works.

#3 2012-05-30 23:31:04

dbbolton

Re: [Solved] I cant add custom launchers to the panel

I'm experiencing this bug too, with 4.8 on FreeBSD. Is there some way around it other than removing all my settings?

Edit: I found a workaround. I created a new panel, and was able to make a custom launcher on it. Then I right-clicked on the launcher, selected "move", and dragged it to my main panel.

It seems this "bug" only affects the original panel.

Last edited by dbbolton (2012-05-30 23:36:54)

Board footer