Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-02-29 20:23:19

rayandrews

applying for refugee status from Gnomeland

Hi All,

I'm a LMDE user. So yesterday, wanting to be helpful, I switched my repos over to the 'testing' branch. I don't mind being a guinea pig, but what this did to me was install Gnome 3 which, naturally, refused to boot, giving me two black screens with just a mouse pointer, and I'm not a masochist anyway. It seems that the 'big' DEs have all gone insane. Gnome 3 sux and doesn't work half the time. Didn't Linux call it 'a disease'?  KDE seems to have gone crazy too. Unity is madness. Mint is now forking Gnome all over the place.  All this lunacy has to stop! I'm looking for a nice, simple, functional, intuative DE that helps me do things rather than trying to turn me into a Borg or trying to dazzle me with baloney.  Is this the right place?  Oh, and a vibrant and helpful user community would be great, too.

#2 2012-02-29 20:46:12

secipolla

Re: applying for refugee status from Gnomeland

I don't know if GNOME should still be called a DE. They're focusing on tablets and one can't do both things well.

#3 2012-03-04 17:53:52

Pacopag

I've been using XFCE since the day that Ubuntu switched the default DE to Unity (like you say, this is insanity).  I love XFCE, and I'll never look back (unless of course XFCE goes insane like the other DEs you mentioned).  I hope you like it too.  Cheers.

Last edited by Pacopag (2012-03-04 17:54:11)

#4 2012-03-04 18:39:59

rayandrews

Pacopag,

So far my biggest issue with Xfce is just that this forum is so dead sad So many questions go unanswered. A dynamic forum is where new users get their problems solved and a dead forum could send many of them away again, that's too bad.  I'm looking for a project to join, I thought Xfce might be it, but so far it seems that there's almost no body home.

#5 2012-03-05 02:16:13

drdavidk

rayandrews:

Welcome to the forum.  Check out the XFCE forum at LMDE as well, as that has an active user base too.

#6 2012-03-05 02:25:10

rayandrews

drdavidk,

Ok, will do. But ... well, geez, things are so fragmented. I wish we had one stop shopping for help instead of having to Google for stuff and just hope for the best. Oh well, everything in linux is like that.

Board footer