Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-01-11 15:12:18

Psnarf

Greetings and Solicitations

Obligatory Hello message.

I look forward to the day when I can run XFCE without pulling in some sort of plerf from KDE and GNOME.
I know, it's my own fault for adding a few packages from each with all the baggage Fedora drags in. But I  digress.

Color me "newbie."
Hallo

#2 2012-02-29 16:52:32

Psnarf

Re: Greetings and Solicitations

Ping - still here

#3 2012-03-16 19:22:36

gxagar

Hi Psnarf,
I've spent years learning to avoid plerf from KDE.  Am finally successful.  Avoiding plerf from Gnome?  Not so successful.  Also not so bad, and maybe a little necessary since XFCE & Gnome share gtk.  I'm with you though.  I'd like to have an XFCE built completely on XFCE.  As the rest of DE world continues to become untenable, with a few exceptions, I think Mousers will step up and fill the bill.  I have no skills beyond testing stuff.  But, I'll help all I can.

C'ya 'round Mouse World,

G

Linuxers Live by a CODE!

#4 2012-04-04 14:23:55

Psnarf

Obping: Bleatings and Felicitations

Do you have to post something hereing every month, or just one month after creating your profile?

Hey, Gxagar!
I tried the LXFE Fedora spin. Now I use that CD as a coaster. I just wanted one or two KDE4 games. Now I get KDE sounds that are pretty close to Bill T. Cat's "Thpppft!" KDE assumes it is the display manager, lauches its system notifier and plays a sound, only not through pulseaudio or alsa. I can do without gnome vfs. The desktop trash icon doesn't work without it. My primary node is getting new fans and motherboard after its northbridge got too hot, so instead of Slackware, I'm using Fedora on the secondary node of my HPC cluster. I don't have a modem, but if I try to remove the modem package, yum wants to remove everything. There is no reverse-dependency feature, only forward dependency. Install a package, you need its dependencies; remove a package, you remove all of its dependencies including stuff it did not install, including the entire dependency tree and all packages depending on that, system libraries, xwindows, and on and on. Nay, no checking to see if any other package happens to be using a shared library file. I don't use bluetooth, but again, remove it and there goes the entire network and everything that depends on it, browsers, editors, games,....

But I digress. I'm task-oriented, I want only the stuff I need to work on those particluar tasks. That's why I like XFCE.

(If someone has edit privileges on the wiki, http://wiki.xfce.org/recommendedapps recommends Graveman, a project apparently abandoned circa 2006. It might work, but the most recent version is a beta test.)

#5 2012-04-04 15:04:19

secipolla

You only need to post for the fist time within one month from the account creation date.

As long as you don't use GDM then you can be GNOME free. Of course one or two GNOME apps (I, for instance, like its search-tool and file-roller) don't make much fuss.
The Xfce team from Fedora intend to replace GDM for lightdm after F17. Debian has already done that in its testing versions.

I haven't much experience with yum/rpm yet but ideally you should setup your Xfce system starting from the netinstall ISO. Mine I installed from the Xfce spin because the netinstall installer was broken then (F17 "Branched"). But besides GDM there isn't much GNOME. You can safely NOT start the GNOME services at login time. There's this new tracker thing too (seems to be a nepomuk style thing) but it can be disabled too.
Even though the CD is quite frugal in its contents, I managed to uninstall some stuff using yumex (while I get to grips with the command line).

#6 2012-04-04 20:00:17

gxagar

You guys use funny words.  Me Like.  Thanks for including me in your RE: but I know nothing of Fedora and can't be of much help.  I am, however, interested in Clustering a few PIIs to run BOINC.  Tell me about your Cluster, Psnarf.

G

Last edited by gxagar (2012-04-04 20:12:14)

Linuxers Live by a CODE!

#7 2012-12-18 17:12:55

Psnarf

ping

Board footer