Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-04-10 10:16:41

hempelr

Hello to all there...

Hello all,
many greetings from the Erzgebirge (OreMountains, also known as ChristmasLand) in Germany.
I am a "changer" of Gnome / Ubuntu to Debian Squeeze / XFCE.
Slowly, I try to incorporate at least some time to work properly again with joy in a GUI / desktop environment in Linux.
It is - and I'm (still) reasonably capable of learning, I want a system with good handling, easy to administer and take pleasure in their work.
The XFCE 4.8 is the backport repos is the pretty close - a little getting used over previously occupied Gnoem2 in Linux Mint even more necessary.
Still, I think I've finally got a "port" found by hopping distributions - Debian as a "rock stable" and XFCE as a smart, fast desktop environment.

PS As my practical English is rather poor, I have the text translated by Aunt Google, I hope, that knows what it does;-)

#2 2012-04-10 22:52:37

gnome_refugee

Re: Hello to all there...

Tante Google hat's gut genug.

Welcome, and I agree with you that Debian + Xfce is a very good choice!

#3 2012-04-12 20:22:45

gxagar

Wilkommen Hempier!  Ich bin Americanisch, und Ich studiert Deutsch an dem Universitat just enough to mess up this greeting.

I've been hoping hard and looking around, but I don't see any indication that 4.8 will be in Squeeze Backports any time soon.

G

Last edited by gxagar (2012-04-12 21:15:55)

Linuxers Live by a CODE!

#4 2012-04-12 21:34:24

lifeinthegrey

gxagar wrote:

Wilkommen Hempier!  Ich bin Americanisch, und Ich studiert Deutsch an dem Universitat just enough to mess up this greeting.

I've been hoping hard and looking around, but I don't see any indication that 4.8 will be in Squeeze Backports any time soon.

G

Unless you're running a production server or something, I would really consider Wheezy instead of Squeeze. I run my development server (which also serves as my HTPC, intranet media hub, and streaming media server) on Debian Testing + XFCE at home, and set it to safe-update every day with a cron job, and its been running like a champ for months. Ridiculously stable, plus has huge improvements over Squeeze.

oh, you want eXtremely Fast Computing? thats Easy ...

Board footer