Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-07-07 18:33:21

Nuc72

Feature request: Integrate Catfish into Thunar

Hi Guys,

What do You think about if we integrate Catfish into Thunar (if it's possible technically)?

Why have I tought about it?
I think file managing and search for files are tipical OS level tasks and they have to be accessed from the same place.
I know there is Ctrl+F (it's got a bit limited function and cannot substitute a 'real' file finder) in Thunar, and I know Catfish is integrated into the right-click menu also (through custom actions - if I'm right).
But
1. The right-click menu usually offers such functions, which can be accessed from the main menu structure of the application.
2. To open a standalone application to find a file - I think it is not an elegant solution.
3. We should help users who want to switch from Windows or MacOS (both of them have elegantly integrated file finder).

Just a proposal about the look:
http://ubuntuone.com/2BuUl0nBd4L88rZaeprAIF

#2 2012-07-07 19:37:08

secipolla

Re: Feature request: Integrate Catfish into Thunar

You know you can simply type the name of the file to go there, don't you?

#3 2012-07-07 23:02:27

Nuc72

If it could be so simple, there would be no need for Catfish I think (otherwise I know what you told, thanks for the tip).

#4 2012-07-08 00:11:03

Magnus

The problem with the "search" function in Thunar is that it only works for looking files that begin with a string of characters. You can't look files that contain or end with a pattern.

#5 2012-07-08 01:30:37

Nuc72

I see. I've just wrote "integrate Catfish into Thunar" because of this, so we shouldn't use Thunar's built-in search capabilities. In this case Thunar could be a 'front-end' of Catfish. Of course I'm not a programmer; maybe it's very hard to do technically (or impossible).

#6 2012-07-08 22:14:12

RGoose

Great Idea!

It isn't the complete package as you propose, but I did somthing like this to add catfish to thunar.

http://marksnotebook.com/ubuntu/how-add … ng-catfish

#7 2012-07-08 23:54:27

Nuc72

RGoose: Your solution is included by default in Thunar yet (otherwise it's a clever workaround).

I've just elaborated a very easy to do proposed solution about this 'search thing' - what do You think about?

To integrate Catfish into Thunar is a bit complicated I think so forget it, leave Catfish as a standalone application and use it, but:

1. Rename it to 'File Finder' (its actual name tells nothing about its function). Move it close to Application Finder in Accessories (You can do it easily by Main Menu Editor). I think Application Finder and File Finder is a nice unit with clear names.

2. Insert File Finder into Thunar's File menu (it could simply launch File Finder as a standalone app in the actual folder). It needs to picking the code of Thunar, only programmers can do it.

I think this solution is really easy to do, does not need big developments, but has got advantages: clear for everybody, accessible from most adequate places.

See the mockup:
http://ubuntuone.com/1aQxStk30agDyA5WqOwKFU

#8 2012-11-30 18:09:30

fabioxxxx

there is any way to add catfish as an icon into thunar icon bar or make a shortcut key ,like f3  ?

it's way better then having to right click  inside the folder and look for the "search in this folder"...

also catfish can't search inside a samba share.

bit by bit thunar is getting there ... samba share , tabs ...now just need a decent search system .

#9 2012-11-30 19:18:38

secipolla

fabioxxxx wrote:

there is any way to add catfish as an icon into thunar icon bar or make a shortcut key ,like f3  ?

it's way better then having to right click  inside the folder and look for the "search in this folder"...

also catfish can't search inside a samba share.

bit by bit thunar is getting there ... samba share , tabs ...now just need a decent search system .

Of course it shouldn't be integrated, why bloat Thunar if custom actions are so easy and flexible. Then it would integrate some search engine and people would keep buggin' if it wasn't the best.

I personally for a GUI used gnome-search-tool but lately they have been braking its integration out of GNOME and 'forgetting' to fix so I'm using mate-search-tool now. Maybe it works for samba shares?

#10 2012-11-30 20:16:54

secipolla

And a keyboard shortcut is very easy. If your custom action is called, for instance, 'Search _Here' then you just need to hit 'menu' and then 'h'.

<action>
	<icon>system-search</icon>
	<name>Search _Here</name>
	<command>mate-search-tool --path=%F</command>
	<description>Search file contents</description>
	<patterns>*</patterns>
	<startup-notify/>
	<directories/>
</action>

Board footer