Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-08-12 12:45:44

rieuxtarrou
Website

Panel preferences are not saving

Hello everyone,

I posted this same query on Ubuntu Forums, and I was wondering if more specific advice would be available here.

The panel preferences for my xubuntu setup are not saving after I shutdown. The preferences default back to a random configuration that I setup much earlier.

My .xsession-errors log reports a failure to cleanup the configuration.

liblauncher-Message: launcher-11: Failed to cleanup the configuration: Error removing file: Directory not empty
liblauncher-Message: launcher-10: Failed to cleanup the configuration: Error removing file: Directory not empty
liblauncher-Message: launcher-20: Failed to cleanup the configuration: Error removing file: Directory not empty
liblauncher-Message: launcher-5: Failed to cleanup the configuration: Error removing file: Directory not empty
liblauncher-Message: launcher-19: Failed to cleanup the configuration: Error removing file: Directory not empty
liblauncher-Message: launcher-3: Failed to cleanup the configuration: Error removing file: Directory not empty
liblauncher-Message: launcher-8: Failed to cleanup the configuration: Error removing file: Directory not empty

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks!

#2 2012-08-12 13:50:12

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Panel preferences are not saving

Hi. Out of curiosity, did creating a second account and changing the panel launchers work? If it did, you can try to reset your Xfce configuration by moving/renaming ~/.config/xfce4 and ~/.cache/sessions and logging back in to get the default (clean) configuration.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2012-08-12 15:30:23

rieuxtarrou
Website

The panel preferences for the second account I created saved correctly. What do you think if I deleted the launcher folders, (the ones posted above), that are creating the errors? Would this badly damage my system?

#4 2012-08-12 16:21:58

ToZ
Administrator

To reset just the panels, I believe you need to also delete the panel xml file. Try this series of commands:

xfce4-panel --exit
rm -R ~/.config/xfce4/panel
rm ~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-panel.xml

...then Alt + F2 and:

xfce4-panel

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find

#5 2012-08-12 16:26:51

rieuxtarrou
Website

Am I in danger of seriously damaging my setup if I issue the above commands?

#6 2012-08-12 19:20:10

ToZ
Administrator

Those commands will delete the existing xfce4-panel configurations and reset the panels to their defaults. So you will lose all of the configuration that you have done to the panels thus far. In a nutshell:
- stop the xfce4-panel process (the panels will disappear)
- delete the launcher directories
- delete the panel configuration file
- restart the xfce4-panel process (the panels will re-appear with default values - i.e. as it was the first time you started)

That is all those commands will do.

#7 2012-08-13 15:36:49

rieuxtarrou
Website

After removing the previous panel configurations, my desktop reverted back to the default xubuntu panel configuration--to be expected. It looks like any changes to this configuration do not save though, so it seems like the original issue I had continues.

Per your previous suggestion, what would be the process for resetting the configuration files--the step you suggested as a last result?

#8 2012-08-13 17:54:19

ToZ
Administrator

Logout, go to the first tty (Ctrl+Alt+F1) and login there. Rename the following Xfce config directories (in case you need to restore or recover some information):

mv ~/.config/xfce4 ~/.config/xfce4.BAK
mv ~/.config/autostart ~/.config/autostart.BAK
mv ~/.config/menus ~/.config/menus.BAK
mv ~/.config/orage ~/.config/orage.BAK
mv ~/.config/Terminal ~/.config/Terminal.BAK
mv ~/.config/Thunar ~/.config/Thunar.BAK
mv ~/.cache/sessions ~/.cache/sessions.BAK

Then go back to tty7 (Ctrl+Alt+F7) and log in. The whole of Xubuntu's xfce4 implementation should be reset to defaults.

#9 2012-08-30 14:37:27

rieuxtarrou
Website

Sorry it took so long to reply to your suggestion. Your fix worked perfectly! Thank you for the help. The xfce4 panel configurations are saving properly.

Board footer