Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-10-18 17:18:44

Antignor

[Solved] Names of apps in Xfce menu

Since a while, I think since I installed Xubuntu 12.04, the entries in the Xfce menu's don't show the names of the applications anymore but the description in the launchers. The result of this is that I now can e.g. get several "Movie player" and "Text editor" entries without any further description which of them is what (though sometimes the tooltip has some more details or hints). I want the menu entry of Audacity to show "Audacity", not "Sound Editor".

I can edit all launchers by hand (which can be quite a search to find as well as they're not all in the same directory) and put the app-name in the description, but this is tedious and time consuming work and when there's an update installed that particular launcher is re-installed and the menu entry returns back to the overwritten description.

Is there any way to get the names of all applications back in the menu by default?

Edit:
Btw, in the desktop context menu (right click on the desktop) I do get the normal names in the applications menu.

Last edited by Antignor (2012-10-18 17:23:52)

#2 2012-10-18 21:38:52

secipolla

Re: [Solved] Names of apps in Xfce menu

R-click the menu icon>Properties and look for 'use generic names' or the like.

#3 2012-10-18 21:49:01

Antignor

Re: [Solved] Names of apps in Xfce menu

secipolla wrote:

R-click the menu icon>Properties and look for 'use generic names' or the like.

Yes, this is what I was looking for! I searched everywhere to find a setting like that, but obviously overlooked the menu itself.

Thanks!

Board footer