Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-10-23 03:49:19

odo5435

Network Traffic Monitor

I'm  running Linux Mint 13 (Maya) with Xfce 4.10. I'm looking for a panel applet that will keep a record of my bandwidth usage. (It's not that I don't trust my ISP, I just like to do things myself.)

There's Network Monitor which shows current usage but I can't find a way to configure it to keep a running total. Is this possible?

If not, is there another applet someone could suggest that does what I'm looking for, preferably configurable to keep information on a monthly basis?

#2 2012-10-23 05:08:09

vladi

Re: Network Traffic Monitor

#3 2012-10-23 06:05:36

ozjd
Website

It's not an applet but you can use vnstat to monitor it. It runs as a service and comes with a command line utility to display the results. I use Conky to display the totals on the desktop.

#4 2012-10-24 01:42:42

odo5435

Thank you both for your suggestions.

@vladi - I installed Network Traffic Monitor from the .deb file but it tries to open a window then shuts down immediately. I don't even get a chance to configure it. I don't know whether it's a problem with my hardware/software, the application itself, or some conflict with Xfce. Frankly, I don't have the desire (or the time) to nut out the problem so I'll give this one a miss. Tis a pity 'cause it looks as if it might do what I'm looking for. If the issue annoys me enough down the track I might be prepared to invest time and effort into sorting NTM out but right now I'm looking for something that'll work out of the box.

@ozjd - vnstat seems to work but does not appear to be configurable to coincide with my ISP's billing cycle (9th to 8th of the month). The purpose of the exercise is to try to keep track of how much I have left of my monthly quota. And I'd rather have a GUI.

So thank you both again but it seems I'll just have to keep looking.

#5 2012-11-02 17:26:00

secipolla

If you just want something to tell you the total up/down used then you can use conky or to show it on the panel use the genmon plugin (which displays the output of whatever command), I suppose.

Board footer