Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-11-23 10:49:53

secipolla

Thoughts about screen-locking in Xfce.

Using Xfce 4.10

There are two options to set the screen to be locked when suspending the PC, if I understand well.

1 is from the Power Manager and it uses xflock4 so we can edit /usr/bin/xflock4 depending on the screen locker we use.
2 is from Session and Startup settings and it's called 'Lock screen before sleep'. This one doesn't work for me (lock the screen when suspending) so it seems it either doesn't use xflock4 or I didn't understand what it does.

My thoughts on this is:

- xfce4-session is a required Xfce package and xfce4-power-manager is optional so it makes sense to both have an option to set the screen-locking but it would be better if they were synchronized (enabling/disabling in one of them would do the same in the other) and used the same screen-locking command.

The other minor issue I'll just point out as we're talking about this is that in Power Manager it's worded 'Lock screen when going for suspend/hibernate' but from what I observed it looks like it actually locks the screen after waking-up.

#2 2013-02-23 19:03:47

efx

Re: Thoughts about screen-locking in Xfce.

I have found enabling screen locking confusing or unclear in Xfce.
I am running 4.6.2 and but manually running xflock4:

me@mymachine:~$ /usr/bin/xflock4 
/usr/bin/xflock4: 28: xlock: not found

Simple enough fix to just install that package, but other users might not know what the cause is ( assuming xflock4 gets called from configuring a panel with the Actions-Lock Screen button).

I agree it would be nice to have the screen locking in one place under settings.

#3 2013-02-25 04:53:27

the_file

Re: Thoughts about screen-locking in Xfce.

Better yet the devs should drop Dbus alltogether. As far as locking goes you might want to look at slim, its a great display manager.

Last edited by the_file (2013-02-25 04:53:36)

Board footer