Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-11-27 03:38:43

lupitasosa

Synaptic package manager, update manager and Firefox stoped working

Hi, yesterday I had 9 updates notifications but I didn't install them. 
Xubuntu Version: 4.8
Release 12.04 (precise) 32-bit
Kernel Linux 3.2.0-33-generic

Today my updates notifications  icon is a red square with an "X" on it. When I click on it it says:

"An error occurred, please run Package Manager from the right-click menu or apt-get in a terminal to see what is wrong. The error message was: 'Unknown Error: '<type 'exceptions.SystemError'>' (E: Syntax error /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/99synaptic:19: Extra junk after value)This usually means that your installed packages have unmet dependencies.

Synaptic Package manager, update manager, ubuntu software center and Firefox stopped working.

If I write apt-get in the terminal it returns with this:
E: Syntax error /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/99synaptic:19: Extra junk after value

If I run: sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get upggrade; sudo apt-get dist-upggrade

It returns with:

the output of:

cat /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/99synaptic

Returns with this:

In a terminal I wrote: cat /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/99synaptic
It returned with all this:

D
<a\!2
                         BO5h2
3%4"Z}

3'

'u    "'    !J    l           
        D    7
M
h
z

=
Y
&2
  +Y
      (

!6
              /X

j
EpZ^arB,5< r?&'"8=C$Kp-$.l.
"
                        KXCk7    IA"&)*!J l6%\Ro]< b]    5",C&#?;
                                                            $1*=
'
    .+0AB
<>!72(3%:
)@-9/ %s is not available<b><big> </big></b><b>Maintainer:</b><b>Priority:</b><b>Section:</b><b>Size:</b><b>To be removed: %s</b><b>To install the following changes are required:</b><b>Version:</b>A later version is available in a software channelAll dependencies are satisfiedAn older version is available in a software channelCould not download all required filesCould not install all dependenciesCould not open '%s'DescriptionDescription:DetailsDo you want to install the software package? [y/N]:Downloading additional package files...Failed to completely install all dependenciesFailed to install package '%s'Failed to install package fileGPL, see /usr/share/common-licenses/GPLGenerally you are recommended to install the version from the software channel, since it is usually better supported.Included FilesInstall and view software packagesInstall unauthenticated software?Installation completeInstalling '%s'...Installing dependencies...Installing package file...Loading...No description is availableOnly one software management tool is allowed to run at the same timeOpen Software PackagePackage '%s' was installedPackage InstallerPackage Installer - %sPackage:Please check your internet connection or installation medium.Please close the other application e.g. 'Update Manager', 'aptitude' or 'Synaptic' first.Please insert '%s' into the drive '%s'Requires the <b>removal</b> of %s packages
Requires the REMOVAL of the following packages: Requires the installation of %s packagesRequires the installation of the following packages: Run non-interactive (dangerous!)Same version is already installedSame version is available in a software channelSoftware packageSoftware packagesStatus:TerminalThe following packages are UNAUTHENTICATED: The package might be corrupted or you are not allowed to open the file. Check the permissions of the file.To be installed: %sTo fix this run 'sudo apt-get install -f' in a terminal window.Usually this is related to an error of the software distributor. See the terminal window for more details.You are recommended to install the software from the channel instead.You are strongly advised to install the version from the software channel, since it is usually better supported._Details_File_Help_Install Package_Reinstall PackageProject-Id-Version: gdebi
Report-Msgid-Bugs-To: sebastian.heinlein@web.de
POT-Creation-Date: 2012-03-21 22:16+0000
PO-Revision-Date: 2006-05-14 06:11+0000
Last-Translator: Ante Karamatić <ivoks@ubuntu.com>
Language-Team: Croatian <hr@li.org>
Language: hr
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
  %s nije dostupan<b><big> </big></b><b>Održavatelj:</b><b>Prioritet:</b><b>Odjeljak:</b><b>Veličina:</b><b>Za uklanjanje: %s</b><b>Za završetak instalacije, potrebne su slijedeće promjene:</b><b>Verzija:</b>Novija verzija je dostupna u službenim repozitorijmaSve međuzavisnosti su rješene.Starija verzija paketa je dostupna u službenim repozitorijima.Ne mogu preuzeti sve potrebne datotekeNe mogu instalirati sve međuzavisnostiNe mogu otvoriti '%s'OpisOpis:DetaljiŽelite li instalirati paket? [d/N]:Preuzimam dodatne pakete...Instalacija svih međuzavisnosti nije uspjelaInstalacija paketa '%s' nije uspjelaInstalacija paketa nije uspjelaGPL, pogledajte /usr/share/common-licenses/GPLUglavnom se preporuča instalacija verzije iz službenih repozitorija jer su paketi od tamo bolje podržani.Uključene datotekeInstaliraj i pregledaj paketeInstalirati neautorizirane pakete?Instalacija završenaInstaliram '%s'...Instaliram međuzavisnosti...Instaliram paket...Učitavam...Opis nije dostupanDozvoljno je pokretanje samo jednog paketnog alata u istom trenutkuOpen Softver paketPaket '%s' je instaliranPaketni instalerPaketni instaler - %sPaket:Provjerite svoju Internet vezu ili instalacijski medij.Molim, prvo zatvorite preostale programe, npr. 'aptitude' ili 'Synaptic'.Molim, ubacite '%s' u uređaj '%s'Zahtijeva <b>uklanjanje</b> %s paketa
Zahtijeva UKLANJANJE slijedećih paketa: Zahtijeva instalaciju %s paketaZahtijeva instalaciju slijedećih paketa: Pokreni bez interakcije (opasno!)Ista verzija već je instaliranaIsta verzija je dostupna putem službenih repozitorijaPaketPaketiStatus:TerminalSlijedeći paketi NISU autorizirani: Paket je neispravan ili nemate dozvolu ga otvoriti. Provjerite dozvole na datoteci.Za instalaciju: %sKako biste ovo popravili, pokrenite 'sudo apt-get install -f' u konzolnom prozoru.Obićno je ovo zbog greške distributera paketa. Pogledajte konzolni prozor za više detalja.Preporuča se instalacija paketa sa službenih repozitorija.Preporuča se instalacija paketa sa službenog repozitorija jer su paketi od tamo bolje podržani._DetaljiD_atoteka_Pomoć_Instaliraj paket_Ponovo instaliraj paketlupita@Durandal:~$

Please help, thank you.

#2 2012-11-27 13:37:26

secipolla

Re: Synaptic package manager, update manager and Firefox stoped working

First, when you paste the content of a file use the 'code' tags: http://forum.xfce.org/help.php#bbcode (scroll down to 'Code').

You file has an error in line 19.
If you can't figure what it is, try renaming /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/99synaptic to /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/99synaptic.save

Also what error firefox outputs if you try to open it from the terminal?

If you need to reinstall synaptic, you can download it from http://packages.ubuntu.com/precise/synaptic and install it with
dpkg -i synaptic<tab>

Last, but not least, this forum isn't the best place for you to ask help on this as it's not an Xfce error, but an Ubuntu error. So you can use the Ubuntu forum.

#3 2012-11-27 20:53:33

lupitasosa

When I open Firefox from the terminal it strangely opens another Firefox, like new, for example, my bookmarks are not there.

#4 2012-11-27 21:09:26

secipolla

Did you remove /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/99synaptic to test?
You can delete it because it's not supposed to be like what you posted.

Then you could try to downgrade synaptic with aptitude.

But it's pointless to ask here, really. Your system looks to be corrupted in more than one front. It's better if you ask in the Ubuntu forums.

#5 2012-11-29 16:28:20

lupitasosa

Thank you very much for everything.  I followed your advice and went to Launchpad and they helped me.  Synaptic and update center and ubuntu sofware center are now functioning.  The only thing I lost was Firefox. I only can open it from the Terminal, so I uninstalled it and now I'm using Chromium. Thank you.

#6 2012-11-30 10:39:39

secipolla

You're welcome.
Did you try to re-install Firefox? Maybe that helps.
If your personal profile was corrupted in some way you can always start afresh (but lose your bookmarks etc.) by just renaming/deleting ~/.mozilla

But what you can do is after login try to open Firefox from the menu. If it fails, you open a terminal emulator and run

cat .xsession-errors

Then you look if there are any errors related to Firefox.

Board footer