Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-01-05 20:17:30

KwestNT

Beginner support - synaptic package manger

The xfce system looks nice but I am too new to it to understand.  I seldom use the command line and have depended on GUI functions to manage a desktop on debian. 

I have an older machine that only allows CD boot and install and do so without a network connection.  So only xfce fits.  I do not see any software manager gui's.  In the past, synaptic package manager has worked for me.

If there are any suggestions on how to use synaptic for xfce, it would help with this install.

#2 2013-01-05 23:33:09

Sideburns
Website

Re: Beginner support - synaptic package manger

I don't know what distro you're using, but it sounds like it's Debian-based.  Ask at your distro's support forum.

Registered Linux user #470359
Permanently recovered BOFH
Any advice in this post is worth exactly what you paid for it.

#3 2013-01-05 23:36:20

demosthenese

You will need to tell us which distro you are using, before anyone can give you specific instructions:

In a terminal type

uname -a

#4 2013-01-06 01:16:50

KwestNT

Thanks for the efforts
the uname command produced this
Linux hostname 2.6.32-5-686 #1 SMP Sun May 6 04:01:19 UTC 2012 i686 GNU/Linux

It is a debian distro.

I am unsure if the package management system and such is something that is the result of the desktop options or the distro.  The Gnome desktop has a bunch of other stuff included.  Though I believe starting with xfce would be best for an older machine according to the descriptions.

#5 2013-01-06 19:29:15

demosthenese

Debian. Go to http://debgen.simplylinux.ch/ and fill out the form - probably easiest to tick all the default sources selections - to generate a suitable sources list.

Then back up you existing sources list and copy the generated list to /etc/apt/sources.list:

to open the source.list use

$ gksu mousepad /etc/apt/sources.list

(Use save as to create a backup before pasting in the new list, save and exit.

In a terminal, switch to root

$ su

and update and install synaptic.

# apt-get update
# apt-get install synaptic

#6 2013-01-07 06:02:44

KwestNT

demosthenese - That worked.  So now I have some software installed including synaptic.  How does the software list get saved for back up and recovery?  I have added and subtracted programs.  From my reading, somewhere there is a text file with the software list.  Is there a way to have a base install be updated to add and remove programs from the file once it is set?

Also, how do I settle with you for the work you do that helps?

#7 2013-01-19 13:08:06

Hoser Rob

Synaptic keeps a history of activity stored by date.  Very useful, but it has nothing to do with backup of packages and data.  That's a separate issue from synaptic or any other package manager.

You can back up installed software packages.  I do this because I prefer to backup data separately from the system stuff.  Use AptonCD.

Board footer