Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-01-25 15:59:23

theraman

Multimedia keys not working while xfce-panel in use. Any Solution?

I am using XFCE 4.10, on opensuse.
Whenever xfce-Panel is in particular use say any menu open from xfce-panel, either right click menu or application menu. Volume control and all other multimedia(play/pause,stop,prev,next, and volume control) keys stop working. As soon as click on desktop they start work again.

Any Solution??

#2 2013-01-25 18:44:14

andrzejr

Re: Multimedia keys not working while xfce-panel in use. Any Solution?

That's not specific to Xfce - most X applications do the same. Whenever you open a menu, the application grabs (takes ownership of) both mouse pointer and keyboard.

Firefox and Thunderbird handle this differently. I guess they have custom menus and close them when an unknown key is pressed.

#3 2013-01-25 19:55:00

theraman

Thanks for your reply.. Yes, I have checked other applications are grabbing the keyboard and thus the multimedia commands directed to the base system but Firefox is letting them to pass by closing the menu.
So, this is not the bug.. but might be the needed feature for the X applications like Firefox.

KDE also accept it as a BUG... So It is possible to resolve the problem..

Last edited by theraman (2013-01-25 20:06:55)

#4 2013-01-26 00:26:36

andrzejr

IMHO the best place to fix that would be Gtk (GtkMenu) itself.

I can imagine working this around by adding keyboard handlers to every single menu shown on the screen in every application/plugin/etc but, frankly speaking, that's not likely to happen - too much work, maintenance burden, you name it.

Board footer