Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-04-08 07:36:10

JanN

Mouse cursor jumps

Hi all,

I'm using xfce4.8 on Debian wheezy (dpkg xfce 4.8.0.3). Initially I only had GNOME3, but did'nt like unity and installed xfce from the debian repos.
My problem is: The mouse jumps in the direction I point it to instead of smoothly moving there. It's like ->...........----------------........... with the dots being normal cursor movement while during the - signs, the mouse cursor isn't shown at all, it just re-appears at the next dots.

Sometimes, it also slows down, like the system is under so high load that it can't display the mouse cursor movement properly.
I checked that high load is not the problem, system is almost idle in these situations.

I use a Thinkpad T400, my /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-thinkpad.conf is:

Section "InputClass"
     Identifier "Trackpoint Wheel Emulation"
     MatchProduct       "TPPS/2 IBM TrackPoint|DualPoint Stick|Synaptics Inc. Composite TouchPad / TrackPoint|ThinkPad USB Keyboard with TrackPoint|USB Trackpoint pointing device"
     Driver             "evdev"
     MatchIsPointer     "on"
     MatchDevicePath    "/dev/input/event*"
     Option             "EmulateWheel"          "true"
     Option             "EmulateWheelButton"    "2"
     Option             "Emulate3Buttons"       "false"
     Option             "XAxisMapping"          "6 7"
     Option             "YAxisMapping"          "4 5"
EndSection

What can I do to troubleshoot this or is this a known issue? I didn't find, perhaps due to wrong search terms (not native in English)...

Thank you in advance
jan

#2 2013-04-08 20:05:39

Sideburns
Website

Re: Mouse cursor jumps

From the Main Menu, go to Applications->Settings->Mouse.  Look at Feedback on the Device tab; your Acceleration setting is probably too high.

Registered Linux user #470359
Permanently recovered BOFH
Any advice in this post is worth exactly what you paid for it.

#3 2013-04-08 20:59:33

JanN

Re: Mouse cursor jumps

Checked that, Acceleration is 2.0. The problem is that I can't reproduce the issue, it sometimes "just happens". Wouldn't it be a persisting problem instead of an intermittent one if it had to do with the Acceleration setting though?

Board footer