Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-04-19 21:50:17

king-ghidorah

[Solved] Cannot change the wallpaper, the XFCE mouse comes back (dual head).

Hello,

I've just (re)installed XFCE on Ubuntu 12.10

sudo apt-get install --reinstall xfce4

after trying out various other display managers and then uprooting them with moderate success (removing dms seems an impossible task) I have this problem - I cannot change the wallpaper settings, they don't stick. On the other hand the XFCE mouse wallpaper is very sticky indeed, and it comes back after logging out and in again:

xfce-wallpaper-issue_zpse28f6520.jpeg

Before that I had another problem where I could not change the screen resolution with any gui tools like xfce4-display-settings and only by modifying the

.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/displays.xml

file but reinstalling xfdesktop4 4.10.0 seems to have solved that problem. I was hoping it would also solve the wallpaper issue but it didn't.

Do you have any suggestions what may be causing such havoc?

Last edited by king-ghidorah (2013-04-20 08:52:35)

#2 2013-04-19 22:30:27

ozjd
Website

Re: [Solved] Cannot change the wallpaper, the XFCE mouse comes back (dual head).

Did you try clearing the cache?

#3 2013-04-20 04:07:55

eric_the_idiot

Re: [Solved] Cannot change the wallpaper, the XFCE mouse comes back (dual head).

It looks like you have 2 monitors with mirrored displays. The mouse wallpaper is from your monitor 2 tab. As a workaround, you can go to the monitor 2 (HDMI-1) tab and set the image to none and the color style to transparent. It should go away. In the next release of xfdesktop this issue should be fixed.

#4 2013-04-20 09:30:11

king-ghidorah

Hi guys,

Thank you for your help.

@ozjd Out of curiosity what cache?

@eric Yes, your suggestion worked. I haven't used the second screen for a while so the second tab in the desktop manager has slipped my attention.

Once you reminded me about the fact that I have two screens :-) I decided to power the second one on and change from mirroring of the first screen to extending it. I could not find any gui tool for the job (is there any?) so I resorted to using first xfce4-settings-editor and then xrandr:

#!/bin/sh
xrandr --output LVDS-1 --off --output HDMI-1 --mode 1920x1200 --pos 1280x0 --rotate normal --output VGA-1 --mode 1280x1024 --pos 0x0 --rotate normal

In both cases I achieved what I wanted but when using no colour at all I get such background jigsaw on the second screen:

xfce-dualhead-issue_zpsd78c8238.jpeg:original

This does not happen when using a solid colour. What is the use of the Transparent colour option?

#5 2013-04-21 01:08:30

ozjd
Website

I was meaning the session cache. Thinking that the previous settings may have been saved there and any changes not being recognised. That is a method used when trying to explain strange behaviour.
It was a long shot and see you found a better answer.

Board footer