Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-04-26 20:47:27

Antis Lathoi

[Solved] Full HD 11" display: How to increase active region for resizing window

Hi,

Im using xfce 4.10 on arch linux on an asus zenbook; this 11 inch device has a full HD 1920x1080 resolution, making fonts etc very small per default.

Especially trying to resize windows (with the touchpad!!) is very uncomfortable: you point to the edge, wait for the resize-angle to appear, then double click and draw open; but the active region for resizing is so small that pointing to it and not losing it through double tapping with the touchpad is a real pain.

How can I increase the active area for resize operations?

Thanks

Antis.

#2 2013-04-26 22:40:30

andrzejr

Re: [Solved] Full HD 11" display: How to increase active region for resizing window

Use a theme with wider window borders. Some themes come with 1 pixel wide borders, which maybe looks good but is not very usable.

#3 2013-04-26 22:51:08

MountainDewManiac

Re: [Solved] Full HD 11" display: How to increase active region for resizing window

If you have "Window Buttons" on one of your Xfce panels, you can right-click on the one for the app that you wish to resize and select Resize from the menu that pops up. Assuming that said window isn't maximized, of course - if so, you'll have to Unmaximize it from that menu first.

Or - assuming that the window that you wish to resize is the one that is "in focus," just hit Alt-Space and select Resize from the menu that pops up. Most things that can be done with a mouse (or mousepad) can also be done via keyboard - ofttimes, easier.

Hope this helps,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#4 2013-04-26 23:42:55

Antis Lathoi

MountainDewManiac, Andrzejr: thanks for your suggestions!
I really love the ALT+Space solution, this is actually very quick and elegant, with "r" for "Resize" it doesn't even need any mouse action except for the actual resizing, its perfect!

Thanks again

Antis.

#5 2013-04-27 00:03:19

MountainDewManiac

Glad I was able to help. The suggestion to pick a theme with thicker elements seemed like a good one, but with only an 11" screen, I thought you might not wish to make the usable area any smaller than you have to.

It might be that I tend to think of the keyboard to do things because when I first saw a computer "in person" in 1981 (a Commodore Pet 2001), there was no mouse attached, when I got my first computer a couple of years later, there was also no mouse attached, and when I got my first laptop (far more recently but still some years ago), I found mousepads to often be more trouble than help and am thankful for the switch that allows me to disable mine at will.

I'm also glad to see that you added a [Solved] to your thread title. That might help others who search for a solution to the same issue in the future. I wish everyone that found a solution to their problems would do the same thing, but I suppose I ought to be glad that most people at least don't simply abandon a thread without reporting success when they solve their issue.

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

Board footer