Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-05-19 17:30:29

exebetche

Customize xfdesktop context menu

Hi
I use xfce 4.8, xfdesktop 4.8.3 and Thunar 1.2.3.
I would like to add an entry with a submenu in the context menu of the desktop, if I right click on the wall paper, not a specific file.
I found that i can edit ~/.config/xfce-applications.menu to add entries in xcfce>applications and I tried the Thunar's custom actions but they appears on Thunar's directories windows only, not on desktop.
I would like this entry to appear near "Desktop configuration" and "Properties" (I want to make a script to arrange my icons because my desktop is always a mess) but dispite my research I was unable to find the config file for this specific menu.
I hope someone will be able to advice me on that one, thanks.

#2 2013-05-19 18:01:21

exebetche

Re: Customize xfdesktop context menu

Ok, my bad, the custom actions didn't show on the desktop because the config not reload properly somehow.
So the only question left: is it possible to create a submenu like for "create from template"?

#3 2013-05-19 19:32:46

MountainDewManiac

I don't know how to add the feature to old versions of Xfce, but I just right-clicked on my desktop to check and there is an "Arrange Desktop Icons" entry in my menu. So you could get that by updating to the current version of Xfce (or xfdesktop, Thunar, or whichever component it is that provides such things).

Unfortunately, I cannot tell you in what way the command "arranges" one's desktop icons, since I keep my desktop free of icons. Therefore I cannot know if it would arrange them you'd want or not.

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#4 2013-05-20 16:35:45

k-bag
Website

Hi.

You can use the Thunar's custom actions by specifying this pattern: ~/Desktop/*, it works.
Its not working! (It disappears after updating the custom actions).

Last edited by k-bag (2013-05-20 17:23:57)

#5 2013-05-20 17:38:16

exebetche

Thanks for the replies,
@mountainDew: So you say they add this features to the recent resleases? That's a dam good new. I thought I was up to date though... I'll check that.
@k-bag: it seems your pattern is working for me so far. What do you mean by "updating the custom actions"?

#6 2013-05-20 17:48:10

k-bag
Website

exebetche wrote:

@k-bag: it seems your pattern is working for me so far. What do you mean by "updating the custom actions"?

Strange, It worked for me for a short time hmm I'm gonna take a look.

exebetche wrote:

What do you mean by "updating the custom actions"?

The new created actions may not be added to the menu instantly, we should in this case update them by quitting and reopening Thunar.

P.S: Sorry for my rusty english tongue

#7 2013-05-20 17:53:42

exebetche

k-bag wrote:

P.S: Sorry for my rusty english tongue

Sorry for mine smile

Nope, I confirm I can add custom actions and nothing changes.

Board footer