Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-05-02 10:30:26

gbulfon

Built xfce4.10 on XStreamOS/illumos distro, can't start

Hi,
we're working on having xfce4.10 built in on our next XStreamOS Desktop distro of illumos kernel.
I could build from sources all the needed packages and installed them in my dev machine.
The dev machine is running under VirtualBox 4.2, and I'm trying to run the desktop from the text console prompt.
I can never make it start just by running "startxfce4", X starts up and then always ends up with the xfce dialog "Unable to determine failsafe session name....".
I tried to avoid xfce4-session, by renaming its binary, and this way I can run the desktop, but obviously without session management.
I also tried to run console-kit in debug mode and run xfce with console-kit session, same results (and ck debug log shows the two were correctly comunicating, with no error).
D-Bus service is running, and it's compiled in with X.

What I notice is that (as the message says) there is no xfconfd running, nobody is trying to run the daemon (at least, I can't see it with ps -ef, not even while the dialog is displayed).
I tried running xfconfd by hands before starting xfce, but the daemon can't start if there is no X session active (at least this is what it complains about).

How can I debug this situation? There may be some file permission problem, or file location from the isntaller, but I can't find any debug info from xfce4-session nor the starting desktop.
I also tried running xfce4-session under illumos "truss" command (to display all the system calls by the executable) and see if there were some failing situation when the dialog was shown,
but I can't see anything strange about any unexistent file, not responding socket, wrong permission or what.

Can you help me have xfce the default desktop for upcoming XStreamOS distro?

Thanx,
Gabriele.

#2 2013-05-03 15:18:15

gbulfon

Re: Built xfce4.10 on XStreamOS/illumos distro, can't start

Ok, I discovered some problems with different packages placing sysconfdir in different places (some in /etc, some in /usr/etc).
I could find and correct all of them and now I have just one place for /etc/dbus-1, /etc/xdg and so on.
I also found and corrected some other packages not using correct execute permissions on /usr/libexec binaries.
Though, it still doesn't start, no matter what user I use (be it root or regular user).
Anyone know how can I let xfce4-session be more explicative of the problem?
I can find no way to see what's failing, no log, no specific error.

I would really love to have Xfce4 as the default Desktop for XStreamOS.
Thanx for any help,
Gabriele.

#3 2013-05-03 17:28:51

gbulfon

I also tried to run with XFSM_VERBOSE=1, but I get only :

xfce-session: Session Manager running in verbose mode.

Nothing more. Where do I find all the verbose info??

#4 2013-06-01 11:02:37

ptribble

That's odd; I'm building Xfce 4.10 for Tribblix (which isn't *that* different from XStreamOS) and it starts and runs just fine. No patches or non-standard configure options, just a vanilla build. Sorry I can't be more helpful, but it just works for me.

Board footer