Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-06-04 06:09:01

soulsource

Gnome notification-daemon started instead of xfce4-notifyd

Hi!

I'm running XFCE 4.10 on Gentoo and there's also Gnome 3.6.2 installed on the same system (which directly depends on Gnomes notification-daemon and which I can't uninstall, since my girlfriend uses it...). Now, when I'm running XFCE, the Gnome notification-daemon is started automatically (and, frankly, looks ugly) as soon as any program requests a notification over dbus. Is there a clean way (-> no changes to files in /usr, wich would get overwritten if an application is updated) to configure the system either to use xfce4-notifyd only for my user or use it for all users, but only if they log in the xfce session?

Thanks in advance,
Andreas

#2 2013-06-04 16:34:10

sixsixfive
Website

Re: Gnome notification-daemon started instead of xfce4-notifyd

You could try to copy your notification-daemon *.desktop file to your homedir and add Hidden=true or OnlyShowIn=GNOME

http://standards.freedesktop.org/autost … atest.html

It should be similar to the menu customization: http://wiki.xfce.org/start?id=howto:customize-menu

Last edited by sixsixfive (2013-06-04 16:56:22)

#3 2013-06-05 05:00:04

soulsource

Thanks, I was also thinking about something similar. My attempt would be to put a "killall notification-daemon && xfce4-notifyd" (with correct path) entry in the autostart list. This would work as long as xfce4-notifyd is not stopped (what happens for instance when changing theme...), becase then again dbus would launch Gnome notification-daemon. I'd actually prefer a solution that would allow me to tell dbus to launch xfce4-notifyd instead of Gnome notification-daemon.

#4 2013-07-04 06:26:27

soulsource

Reviving an old Thread... I didn't manage to make xfce4-notifyd reliably run instead of gnomes notification-daemon. My "solution" was to uninstall gnome's fallback mode, which was causing gnome3 to depend on notification-daemon.

Board footer