Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-06-14 12:36:39

jacobite

fonts too large in application

I'm using Xubuntu 12.04. I have two issues with an application, which I think are related - I've posted in the app's forum but was told it was a Window manager problem so I came here. The app opens in the top left-hand corner of the screen but the window bar is hidden (so I can't move the window). Also, the menu and other fonts are too large (see screenshot). It's not a matter of changing the DPI settings because if I did that the fonts on other apps would be too small.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/6/z9r.png/

I've looked at xfce4-settings-editor but there are so many options and anyway I don't know what I'm supposed to be looking for. Any help appreciated! Thanks in advance.

This is the reply I got when I posted in the application forum:

On positioning; when AXEpad starts up it lets the window manager display the application where it wants to. It would seem it is putting it at (0,0) but with respect to the screen rather than with respect to the workspace. This would seem to be a window manager issue, in not adjusting where (0,0) is when the task bar is at the top of screen.

AXEpad doesn't force its screen position so there's nothing obvious which can be changed to alter that behaviour. You could perhaps move the task bar down to the bottom of the screen and see if that helps.

I believe the window manager provides the font and size for menus and the like so AXEpad has no control over those either.

You could try a different windows manager other than Xfce to see if that improves things.

Last edited by jacobite (2013-06-14 13:03:40)

#2 2013-06-14 13:21:12

PaperNick

Re: fonts too large in application

Try this to center every opened window. If you want to center a specific application use gDevilspie (I'll explain how to use it).

Click to open image

About the fonts, I've no idea...

Edit: How to move windows when the frame is hidden

Last edited by PaperNick (2013-06-14 13:24:36)

#3 2013-06-14 14:47:43

jacobite

Thanks PaperNick,

Adjusting the placement didn't work, but at least I can move the window now. I still think that the two issues aren't independent, but I guess I can live with the large fonts.

cheers,

#4 2013-06-14 15:10:59

jacobite

Well, it seems the two issues aren't related after all. I got the fonts down to normal size by switching from the default Droid Sans to Arial, but the app still opens with the window bar cut off.

#5 2013-06-14 17:09:52

MountainDewManiac

Hold Alt button down, hold left mouse button down while the mouse cursor is in any part of the window, and move your mouse - the window will move.

Or try pressing Alt-Space and selecting move from the menu that pops up.

If the window's title bar is hidden because the size of the window is too large for the screen, try Alt Space and selecting Maximize from the menu that pops up - this may cure it.

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#6 2013-06-14 17:45:44

PaperNick

gDevilspie is the best app for managing windows. It'll solve any window problems for any app as it did for me.
You can install it from Synaptic or whatever package manager.

Here's a detailed tutorial how to use it

Board footer