Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-04-27 19:42:06

pintergreg

tumbler config

Hey,

Is there any way to deny thumbler to create thumbnails from video files? A config file or something...
I want thumbnails from images, but no videos, so I don't deny the whole thing (I found an option for this in the settings).

Thanks,
pintergreg

Last edited by pintergreg (2012-04-27 19:42:23)

#2 2012-04-27 23:02:47

demosthenese

Re: tumbler config

Would uninstalling ffmpegthumbnailer do this?

#3 2012-04-28 16:55:27

stqn

I don’t think it would. I’ve had the same problem and had to uninstall tumbler. Couldn’t find any configuration for tumbler.

#4 2012-04-28 19:44:29

pintergreg

demosthenese wrote:

Would uninstalling ffmpegthumbnailer do this?

The funny thing is, ffmpegthumbnailer is not installed. Is there other backend?
I use Arch x86_64 btw. Xfce 4.8, Thunar 1.2.3 and Tumbler 0.1.24.

My experimental idea was to rename /usr/lib/tumbler-1/plugins/tumbler-ffmpeg-thumbnailer.so... I give it a try. smile

Last edited by pintergreg (2012-04-28 19:46:55)

#5 2012-04-29 06:05:33

gymka
Website

workaround:
compile without ffmpeg and gstreamer support:)

./autogen.sh --disable-ffmpeg-thumbnailer --disable-gstreamer-tumbnailer

all plugins(you can choose which you need):
  * GdkPixbuf thumbnailer plugin               
  * FreeType font thumbnailer plugin             
  * JPEG thumbnailer plugin with EXIF support:     
  * Video thumbnailer plugin using ffmpegthumbnailer
  * Video thumbnailer plugin using GStreamer
  * ODF thumbnailer plugin using libgsf
  * PDF/PS thumbnailer plugin using poppler
  * RAW thumbnailer plugin using libopenraw
  * Freedesktop.org cache plugin

#6 2012-04-29 12:24:12

pintergreg

So, I need to recompile? Okay. But a config file would be great to change these settings without recompile!
Thanks!

#7 2012-04-29 16:12:34

gymka
Website

pintergreg wrote:

So, I need to recompile? Okay. But a config file would be great to change these settings without recompile!
Thanks!

you need download source, compile(with options which you like, in this case with disabled thumbnails for movies) and use your compiled version. if you don't want to see movie thumbnails, so why you install tumbler? for pictures and fonts? in such case imho it's easier not use tumbler:)

Last edited by gymka (2012-04-29 16:13:58)

#8 2012-04-29 16:45:17

stqn

For me tumbler could be useful to find and sort pictures. I don’t see the point in showing thumbnails for videos…

#9 2012-04-30 05:55:42

gymka
Website

stqn wrote:

For me tumbler could be useful to find and sort pictures. I don’t see the point in showing thumbnails for videos…

you can't ignore video thumbnails? ok they are, so let it be so, why disable? smile

#10 2012-04-30 07:48:30

pintergreg

stqn wrote:

+1
I aslo think thumbnails for videos are pointless... But, I need them for pictures, and I like thumbnails for pdfs as well.
Another reason I wanna get rid of them, because it uses a lots of resources, CPU, etc... (at least in my system)

Compiling a software is not a problem for me, but this solution is not too user frendly. That's why I wrote a config file would be great. smile

#11 2012-05-01 20:14:28

stqn

gymka wrote:

you can't ignore video thumbnails? ok they are, so let it be so, why disable? smile

Wasted CPU time for something useless, freezes, very annoying locking of removable volumes, additional dependencies, additional bugs and problems to take care of, and also, I do not want them.

Last edited by stqn (2012-05-01 20:16:41)

#12 2012-05-01 20:17:44

Nick
Dev
Website

The plugins are compiled as modules, so removing the module dependency or the .so file will work. No compilation required.

That said, I agree we need to make this configurable some way or another (also module priority).

#13 2012-11-01 14:14:56

jochen

I also wish an easy configuration of what tumbnails should be generated and what not. This is because tumblerd is buggy and extremly hungry on resources (cpu and memory). When I convert videos tumblerd tries to generate constantly new video thumbnails because the output file is constantly growing (and therfeore changing).
This makes my system often completely unusable because tumblerd uses 100% cpu and all of memory, so system begins swapping.

For me video thumbnails are useless and generating them makes my system often unusable. Until these resource consuming bugs are resolved, it should be easy to disable video thumbnailing.

#14 2012-11-01 19:11:38

jens

jochen wrote:

For me video thumbnails are useless and generating them makes my system often unusable. Until these resource consuming bugs are resolved, it should be easy to disable video thumbnailing.

+1 !!!!!

#15 2012-11-28 08:43:40

rene

... and for me it's just the "keeps removable volumes" busy problem, but yes, video thumbnailing should definitely be easily configured out. I assume it's not really doable to disable it only for removable volumes?

#16 2013-05-19 12:59:52

orbspider
Website

Just been looking up this issue with tumblerd process eating RAM while encoding video - with me actually, something like 16 billion Tb reported on my 4gb.

Ok, I found the gst module and renamed it basically.
             cd /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/tumbler-1/plugins/
              sudo mv tumbler-gst-thumbnailer.so tumbler-gst-thumbnailer.so.bak

but that means no thumbs for any video.  I don't mind that too much, thou in some situations it's nice to have them, cos its faster to see/remember what files are there.

i like thunar tons.

#17 2013-05-19 16:10:56

MountainDewManiac

Stable releases!

Last week-end, our awesome Nick released new stable versions for almost all Xfce major components: libxfce4util, tumbler, xfce4-appfinder, xfce4-session, xfce4-panel, xfwm4, xfce4-settings, garcon, thunar, xfce4-terminal and tumbler (this is not amnesia, we got two releases in a single day for this component!).

I still need to release libxfce4ui 4.10.1 which would fix some keyboard shortcut issues: numpad shortcuts, shortcuts with Shift, shortcuts with Alt+Print... I need some testers for this stable branch before releasing. So grab the code on git or from this tarball and please confirm if it works fine after restarting your session. Thanks in advance for your help.

The list of changes which can be found in those stable releases in available on the Xfce Announcement mailing list. I wish you all an improved Xfce experience!

Xfce Blog

I wonder if the newer versions mentioned in the Xfce blog will make(/allow) Thunar to produce thumbnails for video files? After realizing that (my installation of) Thunar produced neither "picture" thumbnails for video files nor "hover your mouse cursor over the file and listen to a preview" thumbnails(?) for audio files, I tried to follow some directions I found somewhere on the Internet for making Tumbler work - and then tried following other directions for using a different thumbnail component with it (I cannot remember for sure, I think it might have been gtstreamer? Ffmpeg? :shrugs: ), which also failed to work for me. I have since learned that if I run PCFileman and use it to view a directory that contains video files, it will - rather quickly and with no fuss - create thumbnails for the video files. Those thumbnails will then appear every time I view that particular directory with Thunar afterward. However, as "solutions" go, this is unwieldy and doesn't do anything as far as adding the preview capability to audio files (which may or may not actually be "thumbnails," now that I think about it... But Nautilus does it in GNOME 2.x and when I initially noticed that Thunar couldn't seem to create these, either, I assumed that its not being there was part of the same problem).

Hope someone figures it out and helps us non-techies,
MDM

EDIT: I just followed the links to read some release notes on the newer versions of Tumbler. It looks like 0.1.29 addresses "Fix memory corruption on 64bit (bug #9766)." Version 0.1.30 addresses the following:
- Set nice value of tumblerd to 19 (bug #9627).
- Fix rendering from pdfs with thumbnail (bug #9972).
- Add more supported types for gst thumbnailer (bug #9747).
- Some additional debug checks for bug #9766 and minor optimizations.
- Fix deprecating warning with glib 2.36.
- Include string.h (bug #9858).
...but IDK if all that means it fixed it not working for video files or not. I don't really understand half of what I read these days and if I narrow that to "computer stuff" then it probably drops to about a twentieth.

There's also a version of Thunar newer than the 1.6.2 one that is on my system. Its release notes state:
Release notes for 1.6.3
=======================
- Autotools updates.
- Allow keyboard shortcuts for user customizable actions (bug #1941).
- Prepend and later reverse for collecting selection.
- Some optimizations in renamer loop.
- Plug leak in file renamer (bug #9864).
- Escape name for sidepane tooltips (bug #10001).
- Revert "Remove image resolution from statusbar."
- Fix segfault when going back to removed directory (bug #9831).

All three of the above mentioned newer versions also add various languages, I think. I didn't copy/paste those parts because I don't suppose they have anything to do with the issue.

Last edited by MountainDewManiac (2013-05-19 16:21:02)

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#18 2013-07-05 11:22:37

daniel227

there's a config file in /etc/xdg/tumbler/!
(at least on archlinux)
i set all video plugins to Disabled=true because i also had trouble with tumblerd eating too much resources (disk i/o).
i will have to see yet if it helps, but in any case i consider it a workaround.
i want thumbnails, also for movies.
anyhow, creating thumbnails for pictures sometimes also takes too much resources.
(sorry i can't be more specific than "sometimes". many times i've wondered, why does tumblerd start its thing right now? i just can't see a pattern. i'm downloading media with transmission a lot, could have sth to do with that...)

i would expect tumblerd to be more humble and drop everything as soon as another process needs it.

actually tumblerd does not use too much mem or cpu; it's the disk i/o that goes haywire and blocks other things.

taking a look at ~/.thumbnails:
9000 files totalling 190MB - but there's many thumbnails for pictures/movies long deleted. why?
would it be possible to load NEW thumbnails into ram and only keep already existing ones in the folder?
meaning, the tumblerd process would only write to ram, and only when logging out the contents would be written to disk. but thunar could still access all thumbnails, both on disk and in ram.
that should reduce resource blocking and speed up the whole thing and not eat too much memory?
just a wild idea.
i wouldn't know how to achieve half of that.
for now, i deleted all thumbnails, see what happens.

tumbler 0.1.29-1
ffmpegthumbnailer 2.0.8-3
thunar 1.6.3-1

edit: i'm still getting thumbnails for new video files. where do they come from?
i'm using only thunar as filemanager.

Last edited by daniel227 (2013-07-06 07:41:02)

#19 2013-08-08 09:01:13

daniel227

well disabling video thumbnails seems to have helped for a while - but now tumblerd is having disk i/o rages again. it might have started after the last update (0.1.27-3 -> 0.1.29-1) but i'm not sure, since this was in june already.

i checked the config file in /etc/xdg/tumbler/, my custom settings are still there.

is there anybody who knows anything about tumbler, willing to comment?

Board footer