Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-07-18 19:37:31

pnelsonsr

Is there a Gnome3 <app name>.desktop file in xfce?

I was working with terminator and needed to change the terminator.desktop file so that the command it Exec to run had a few command line only options set (-t and --geometry) and I set them in this file and then calls in gnome to terminator worked as expected.

I went over to my XFCE system and found the terminator.desktop file but this is obviously installed for gnome because any changes to it don't do anything in XFCE.  So I did go and manually change my panel launcher to Exec my command line options but I was wondering is there a .desktop like file for XFCE?  I would like to just put files in place rather than get to the XFCE desktop and manually do it.

#2 2013-07-18 19:46:23

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Is there a Gnome3 <app name>.desktop file in xfce?

The default terminal application in Xfce is xfce4-terminal. It would have an associated .desktop file in /usr/share/applications. However, if you wish to use terminator as your preferred terminal application, set it up to be so via Settings Manager -> Preferred Applications -> Utilities tab. It should then use the terminator.desktop file that you have already set up.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2013-07-18 19:54:47

pnelsonsr

Thanks!  As was stated XFCE uses the same .desktop file for apps.  So I removed my bottom panel launcher and check the application menu for terminator and it did bring up terminator with proper settings.  So I recreated a panel launcher and it also had the proper settings.  So it must copy them over when it is created in the panel.

OK so where is the panel config file?  So if needed I can edit it...

Last edited by pnelsonsr (2013-07-18 20:01:28)

#4 2013-07-18 20:14:25

ToZ
Administrator

The terminal icon on the default panel points to /usr/share/applications/exo-terminal-emulator.desktop which in turn runs "exo-open --launch TerminalEmulator". "TerminalEmulator" points to the default terminal as selected in Settings Manager -> Preferred Applications -> Utilities. The easiest way is to leave all the launchers as they are and simply change your preferred terminal to Terminator. Then your terminator.desktop file will be executed.

To answer your question, the panel launcher configs exist in ~/.config/xfce4/panel. The panel config xml file is found in ~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml.

Which distro are you using?

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#5 2013-07-21 19:01:04

pnelsonsr

I'm using Fedora 18 on a RaspberryPi!

I found the panel launcher at ~/.config/xfce4/panel/launcher-18/13741774473.desktop and this in ~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-panel.xml
--snip--
    <property name="plugin-18" type="string" value="launcher">
      <property name="items" type="array">
        <value type="string" value="13741774473.desktop"/>
      </property>
    </property>
--snip--
and this seems to be different on different systems.  I did want to do these changes at the command line.  However I'm thinking about doing doing it with Preferred Applications...

Board footer