Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-07-26 11:14:49

gb.yolo

xfce4-cpufreq-plugin doesn't recognize CPU (x86_64)

I've a laptop with an Intel i7 2.50 GHz processor and archlinux, but xfce4-cpufreq-plugin doesn't seem to recognize any CPU.
In the properties menu (from the panel) I can only access labels settings (show frame, show CPU icon etc), nothing else, nor the plugin displays anything except the CPU icon.

Is the 64bit processor supported by this plugin? Couldn't find any answer on google but I found that ARM 64 bit processors aren't supported yet(https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=926772). And if my CPU is supported, how to make it work??

Thanks

#2 2013-08-03 21:52:17

MountainDewManiac

Re: xfce4-cpufreq-plugin doesn't recognize CPU (x86_64)

Is that the one that can be added via the "Add to panel" dialogue? If so, it wouldn't change the CPU speed of my Intel T2250, either. And, oddly, it appears to have individual settings for both the "conservitave, on demand, userspace, powersave, performance" and specific speed settings (IOW, you can set it for conservative - at the maximum speed roll ) AND have them for each core. So, to me at least, it looks more like a template for a decent GUI app than a decent GUI app. I played around with it, trying various combinations (all the same, different for each core) and never got it to do a thing as far as setting the speed or speed-behavior of my CPU.

It is convenient for actually displaying that speed, though.

I ended up installing indicator-cpufreq from my repos, which is what I alway used in GNOME 2.x. It works a treat for setting the CPU, but won't display that status on my system - I just get a tiny black square with one of those "don't!" red circles with diaganol line though it and a thin white top and bottom border. So... Like I mentioned, xfce4-cpufreq-plugin is good for displaying the CPU's status, lol.

Actually, I glanced at the description just now when I ran Synaptic Package Manager to find the name of the thing I installed and I guess that's all xfce4-cpufreq-plugin is supposed to do, to display the status. IDK why the developer added all the do-nothing settings, that's why I think it's either a template or someone started to design an app and just quit along the way and submitted what they had done.

From Synaptic:

cpufreq information plugin for the Xfce4 panel

This plugin displays the current frequency of the CPU, in GHz or MHz as
necessary. It also displays the frequency relative to the maximum CPU
frequency as an accordingly colored progress bar.

It only mentions displaying, not changing. If I knew how to get indicator-cpufreq to display properly in Xfce, I'd remove and uninstall xfce4-cpufreq-plugin because it'd have no real reason for existing at that point. It's like going out to start your car and realizing that your ignition key is actually just a device for telling you whether or not your car is running - nice to know and all, but a key would be better.

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

Board footer