Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-07-31 09:53:35

truedays

hotkey for "always on top"

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out a way to toggle a window's "always on top" flag in XFCE 4.10.0 (fedora19).

In an older debian/xfce install I was able to use a two phase hotkey sequence "<alt>space, <alt>t" to pull up the active window's popup menu and then enable "always on top" using the "Always on Top" Keyboard accelerator.

Ideally I woule like to know how to bind a single hotkey to "always on top" on active window, but I'll settle for my old method. Unfortunately it looks like the menu accellerator for "always on top" is completely gone.

I've looked in to what I consider non-native XFCE solutions such as xprop, xdotool and wmctrl without success.

#2 2013-07-31 10:44:31

ToZ
Administrator

Re: hotkey for "always on top"

wmctrl will work. Create a keyboard shortcut that runs the following command:

wmctrl -r :ACTIVE: -b toggle,above

This will toggle the "Always on top" of the currently active (focused) window.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2013-07-31 11:20:01

truedays

ToZ wrote:

wmctrl will work. Create a keyboard shortcut that runs the following command:

wmctrl -r :ACTIVE: -b toggle,above

This will toggle the "Always on top" of the currently active (focused) window.

That does work! Thanks for that. I glazed right over that above flag.

Now that I have a scriptable/hotkey'able solution; whattabout, a graphical representation of "above/always-on-top" windows?

Why is there not an "always on top" button available in any(?) xfce theme. I see some varying button layouts, but none seems to go beyond "Menu, Title, Min/maximize, close, stick, roll/shade"

A dedicated "always on top" button/indication seems missing for no good reason. *hint* ;-)

screenshot-07312013-061735am.php

#4 2013-07-31 12:37:59

ToZ
Administrator

I am unaware of any xfwm theme that has an always-on-top button. In fact, its listed in the Xfce "wish list" document (http://wiki.xfce.org/wish_list) leading me to believe that it is currently unavailable. And some history here: https://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2354.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#5 2013-07-31 19:07:15

truedays

Thanks ToZ,

Now I know where I can follow progress on this feature.

Board footer