Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-08-21 14:14:08

ordgate

How to copy desktop settings

Hello Everyone,

at my company we provide customized Debian Wheezy for our users. Recently we've decided to use Xfce and I'd like to roll out a deb package with our default desktop settings. I configured the menus, panels, thunar etc. and copied the ~/.config directory to /etc/skel. Then I created a new user to test whether the desktop configuration would be copied properly or not. Unfortunately the new user got the default settings, my previous config had no effect.

Is this the proper way to copy Xfce settings from one user to another or are there other config files outside the .config directory that I'm not aware of?

Thanks!

#2 2013-08-21 16:08:08

ToZ
Administrator

Re: How to copy desktop settings

I believe you are looking for the /etc/xdg directory. That is where the default new user settings are populated from.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2013-08-22 07:18:57

ordgate

Which files should I copy there? There's already an xfce4 directory there by default. I replaced it with my own but I get the following error upon logging in with a new user:

Unable to load a failsafe session

Unable to determine failsafe session name.  Possible causes: xfconfd isn't running (D-Bus setup problem); environment variable $XDG_CONFIG_DIRS is set incorrectly (must include "/etc"), or xfce4-session is installed incorrectly. 

I've checked the new user's .config directory and apparently nothing gets copied into it from /etc/xdg.

If I copy the files manually with the right permissions after this I still get the same error.

But let's forget the xdg and skel directories, my main question is: what is the proper way to copy an existing Xfce configuration into another user's directory and get it working?

#4 2013-08-22 10:42:04

ToZ
Administrator

what is the proper way to copy an existing Xfce configuration into another user's directory and get it working?

This thread has a script that accomplishes that. It basically copies over 4 directories and chowns them.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

Board footer