Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-08-25 19:42:24

Dúthomhas

Change LightDM greeter theme for Fedora 19 XFCE Spin

The title pretty much says it.

I'm using Fedora 19 XFCE Spin. And I can't figure out how to install a different greeter/login theme than the default.
(I suppose I could just change the background image... but I want more...)

Anyway, I've tried a number of different things and the best I get is a standard Motif greeter dialog with the original background image.
I'd love to be able to install something like BlueSwirl or Hardy Simple Colors

I'm a rank newbie at this kind of modification, so if I've missed something obvious please direct me to the right place.

Thank you for your time.

#2 2013-08-26 02:49:56

ozjd
Website

Re: Change LightDM greeter theme for Fedora 19 XFCE Spin

You could install gdm or but it would probably pull in most of Gnome. Might be best to ask on the Fedora Forum as it is more fedora than Xfce.

I did a guide on installing Lightdm on the Korora forum, Korora is a Fedora remix so it applies to Fedora too. It would probably work the other way, just substitute the correct dm.

First though I should ask, what is the problem with lightdm?

#3 2013-08-26 05:09:10

MountainDewManiac

I'm using Mint Xfce, so it might not apply, but in my application menu under System theres an item called Login Window. Under the second tab (Local), there are both Add and Remove buttons. Presumably, I can use the Add button to add one of those login window themes. And then, in my case - since I've set it to "random, from selected," - I would check the box beside the one that appears in the list after I add it to the other 33 or so that were preinstalled when I installed Mint (14 Xfce).

IDK if that is an Xfce thing or if it's a Mint thing. (And if what you're asking about is the same that is in the newer Mint 15 - the animated WebGL/HTML(?) stuff where you can "steer" your flight through the clouds, the non-WebGL animated theme collection by Sam Riggs, et cetera, then IDK about that, either, because I haven't tried it yet). BUT, you might look to see if you have that "Login Window" in the System section of your menu and, if so, look under the "local" tab. Unfortunately, I'm not clear on the differences between LightDM, MDM, GDM, etc., so IDK which are what and whether the same options apply to them. Still, much of the time I find the more common configuration settings in either the System section or the Settings (Settings is, I think, just for the "after Xfce loads" stuff, but System has more system-wide stuff - which makes sense because it's called System).

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#4 2013-08-26 06:49:03

ozjd
Website

MountainDewManiac wrote:

I'm using Mint Xfce, so it might not apply, but in my application menu under System theres an item called Login Window. Under the second tab (Local), there are both Add and Remove buttons. Presumably, I can use the Add button to add one of those login window themes. And then, in my case - since I've set it to "random, from selected," - I would check the box beside the one that appears in the list after I add it to the other 33 or so that were preinstalled when I installed Mint (14 Xfce).

IDK if that is an Xfce thing or if it's a Mint thing. (And if what you're asking about is the same that is in the newer Mint 15 - the animated WebGL/HTML(?) stuff where you can "steer" your flight through the clouds, the non-WebGL animated theme collection by Sam Riggs, et cetera, then IDK about that, either, because I haven't tried it yet). BUT, you might look to see if you have that "Login Window" in the System section of your menu and, if so, look under the "local" tab. Unfortunately, I'm not clear on the differences between LightDM, MDM, GDM, etc., so IDK which are what and whether the same options apply to them. Still, much of the time I find the more common configuration settings in either the System section or the Settings (Settings is, I think, just for the "after Xfce loads" stuff, but System has more system-wide stuff - which makes sense because it's called System).

Regards,
MDM

That must be a Mint thing because Fedora doesn't have anything like it.

#5 2013-08-26 16:06:59

Dúthomhas

Yeah, the Fedora Xfce spin seems to be a very minimal install (which I like), but it doesn't seemed designed to allow much more than changing the background with the greeter.

Right now I'm playing with SLiM, but it is so limited that I may ultimately look into just writing my own greeter...
I can at least get things to look pretty though, and since I'm the only user it isn't too much of a problem.

I'd like to get the webkit greeter working, but it seems to have some trouble with Fedora, and I'm not going to spend too much time trying to get it working.

I'll let you all know what I ultimately do.

Board footer