Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-06-20 18:38:10

ruziel

Middle click to close windows in panel please! :-)

Hi there.

Once again I just want to say a big thank you to the Xfce team for continuing to develop this great desktop environment. After trying Cinnamon, Mate, KDE & Enlightenment, I settled on Xfce & have not looked back. Excellent work!

The one thing I REALLY miss is the ability to middle click on an open application in the panel and have it close - when one keeps multiple apps open at one time, being able to skip a right click + close is a real bonus. If there is any way that this can be included in a future release, that would go down well with the user base I am sure.

Go well & keep up the great work.

Ruziel
A very happy Manjaro Xfce user...

#2 2013-09-12 20:52:51

desktorp

Re: Middle click to close windows in panel please! :-)

I just searched for 'middle click', in search of others discussing this idea and was happy to discover that I'm not the only one who wants it.  There seem to be a few threads on the topic, other than this one.. one of them presents a patch to apply middle-click closing functionality to the 'task list' .. not sure if 'task list' = 'window buttons'.. but that's what I'm looking to do.  I realize I could break down and use tint2, but I'd rather not.

Of course, I don't expect the devs to jump on this, however I would like to voice my support for this functionality.  It would be a great addition to xfce4-panel.  I imagine the setting to simply be a checkbox within the Window Buttons preferences that says something like "Close windows with middle-click" ..

Another thread mentioned that there could be confusing functionality when used with window grouping and I agree.. I don't really know what would be the best method to solve this conflict.  I don't use window grouping, so I hadn't really thought about it until I read that observation.  The simplest ideas were to either ignore middle-click close actions on groups or close the entire group.  I disable window titles in the Window Button preferences, so I usually have plenty of room for whatever I have open.

The main reason I want this is because I tend to run my system with titlebars disabled.  I use Xfce + Compiz and then set the two thumb buttons on the mouse to control window placement/size .. one of them is resize, the other is move.  That way, it's a single-click action without the need to hit the window with a lot of precision; I can grab it anywhere for a move and resizing is waaaay easier than finding the corners/edges of the window.  The beauty of alt-click without the hassle of using the keyboard.

edit: I should note that I'm currently using Xfce 4.8.. so if this is already part of a newer version, forgive me for my ignorance.

Last edited by desktorp (2013-09-12 20:58:16)

#3 2013-09-12 21:54:23

MountainDewManiac

desktorp wrote:

I should note that I'm currently using Xfce 4.8.. so if this is already part of a newer version, forgive me for my ignorance.

I'm running Xfce 4.10 (with 4.10 & 4.12 PPAs) and I couldn't find anything like you describe in it; the only middle-click action I see in my settings is "Show window list menu on desktop middle click" (Settings/Desktop/Menus). That is not to say that such a thing does not exist, lol - only that I didn't see it.

So feel free to request it if you like, as I don't think they've added it yet. You might (IDK) get a direct response from one of the developers if you post to one of the Xfce mailing lists. Here is a web page that contains a "list of the lists:"

https://mail.xfce.org/mailman/listinfo/

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#4 2013-09-13 20:17:18

andrzejr

Available in git master. Middle click action can be set to "close" or "minimize".

#5 2015-09-22 12:42:22

Sharky

Spamming this at the end of all the threads about this, since anyone looking for this only cares about this info (now it's been patched - thanks guys!):

Right click on Panel > Panel preferences > Items > Window Buttons > Settings > Behaviour : Middle Click Action

Board footer