Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-10-11 16:57:00

Gannet

administering sfce

Hello, people. Just installed xubuntu on several machines and one task appears. Is there any possibility to deny users to create directories and files on xfce-desktop ? How to do that ?
Thanks.

Last edited by Gannet (2013-10-11 16:57:28)

#2 2013-10-11 19:09:05

Sideburns
Website

Re: administering sfce

That depends on what part of the system you want to keep your user's sticky little hands off of.  If you mean their own home folder, you might be able to do it, but it would make their account effectively unusable.  If you mean those parts of the system containing the programs they use, that's pretty much taken care of by default, unless they have sudo privileges.  (Regular users should never be given unlimited access to sudo.  If you're the administrator, you should be the only one able to use sudo.)  Before we can help you, we'll need more info on just what you need.  And, you may be better off asking at the ubuntu forums, as this is more distro-specific than DE.  In any event, good luck.

Registered Linux user #470359
Permanently recovered BOFH
Any advice in this post is worth exactly what you paid for it.

#3 2013-10-12 09:02:03

Gannet

Hello. Thanks for your reply. Yes. I'm the administrator and currently the only one have access to administration account. But the bad thing I see that users after some time using their machine creates a lot of files and folders and even some programs downloaded with browser on a desktop. It's beginning to look awful - whole desktop fulls of icons. I'm seeing it on a lot of windows xp machines. Users doesn't understand that desktop is not for garbage, but for desktop shortcuts. So what I need is to deny users to create files and directories on desktop. Let they create only shortcuts but not to save, for examle, any documents created in LibreOffice. The general things that users will do on that machines is surfing Internet through web-browser, creating/editing (also downloaded from Internet) documents. And the only place they can save them - is their home folder. Different people will use the same account - it will be some kind of public computer - it is in educational institution - for teachers.

#4 2013-10-12 12:54:45

ToZ
Administrator

On my system, the default permissions of the Desktop folder are 755 (owner has read/write/execute, group and other have only read/execute). By changing the persmissions to 555, as a regular user I was unable to save files to my Desktop.

chmod 555 ~/Desktop

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#5 2013-10-14 10:19:30

Gannet

ToZ wrote:

On my system, the default permissions of the Desktop folder are 755 (owner has read/write/execute, group and other have only read/execute). By changing the persmissions to 555, as a regular user I was unable to save files to my Desktop.

chmod 555 ~/Desktop

Thank you very much. It works. And also how to prevent users to change any settings through xfce4-settings-manager ?

#6 2013-10-14 14:13:19

ToZ
Administrator

Gannet wrote:

And also how to prevent users to change any settings through xfce4-settings-manager ?

Sounds like you might be interested in Kiosk mode. Have a look here as well as do a search on the word "kiosk" in this forum for more links and information.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#7 2013-10-14 17:14:56

Gannet

ToZ wrote:

Sounds like you might be interested in Kiosk mode. Have a look here as well as do a search on the word "kiosk" in this forum for more links and information.

Yes, several days in other tab that URL was already opened but I didn't sure is it what I need. Now I know it. Thanks again. Very much.

Board footer