Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-10-14 08:24:46

puppycutletts
Banned

Many Mouses in Settings, Settings Editor (Xconf), Pointers

This is fun.

Everytime I have used a different brand mouse (yes no shit) on the netbook, the OS is REGISTERING the brand and type of mouse.

The list reads like this:

Touch Pad (irrelevant - mostly)

USB (generic cheap) Mouse = Stuck in a box somewhere.

OM (brand) Mouse = Broken / gone.

Microsoft (Ugghhhh) Mouse = Currently in use.

OK so now I am having trouble setting the mouse to a LEFT hand drive, and keeping the settings as a lefft hand mouse.

I figure that a good start, would be to REMOVE all the mice that are listed in the list of pointers, and are no longer being used.

But there is no way to delete them.

In the System Profiler / Benchmarker called "HardInfo" it shows only ONE mouse.

-Input Devices-

ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad
Microsoft  Microsoft Basic Optical Mouse v2.0

And when we go gaily searching through the internetwebs, and find this:

In the ubuntuforums in topic 2123353

Re: Where is the Xorg.conf file or equivalent on XFCE?
Ubuntu hasn't shipped with an xorg.conf file for several years now, all of your hardware should be detected automatically so there usually isn't any need for one.

(well that person went on to show how to create it so I added this reply to their statment)

This person did NOT ask how to create an Xconf file, they asked this:

"Where is the Xorg.conf file or equivalent on XFCE?"

"OK according to you, it does not come with Xconf, so what is it's equivalent and where is it located?"

Ende of insert from that forum:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This lack of FULL CONTROL at that interface, it's frustrating.

The thing that reinforces the frustration, is that there is no link to the Xconf file, or how to edit it and what with.

I can't find it...

I for one would like to hack the file, make the ONE mouse left handed and be done with it.

But sometimes these files are hard to find - probably if they existed, it would be easier too.

This gets better - but it's 3 years old.....

Someone ELSE wrote this message here.

"Ubuntu Multimedia :: Xorg Editing For I845 Inspiron 1100

I have just installed 10.04 LTS on my Inspiron 1100 and I really want to get this video driver debacle taken care of! It seems that one cannot simply edit xorg.conf on 10.04 LTS as it's owned by root and I'm not sure how to acquire root access... I've read a couple of threads similar to this one here:. I can't save changes to the xorg.conf file..."

End of insert:

So we are using a file "Xconf" in Xfce, that Ubuntu apparently has not been shipped with for several years and I can't find it on the system...

I have 3 mice registered with it, and 2 of these are long gone - but still showing as "on the system" (operational or not), and a hardware benchmarking program is only showing the MS mouse......

AND there is no way to edit the file because this file does not exist (apparently) on the system and as is typical to so many Linux type things - the lack of links, manuals, file locations etc., or reasonable explainations, is there...

Again - the laziness of a few, make huge amounts of work and time wasting for many - which I think many of these little problems, does more to drive people away from Linux, than any other issue.

I'd like to find the source of the permanent list, of the mouse types, and delete 2 out of 3 of them.

Does anyone here have the know how on how to do it?

Last edited by puppycutletts (2013-10-14 15:36:38)

#2 2013-10-14 14:11:40

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Many Mouses in Settings, Settings Editor (Xconf), Pointers

It seems that one cannot simply edit xorg.conf on 10.04 LTS as it's owned by root and I'm not sure how to acquire root access... I've read a couple of threads similar to this one here:. I can't save changes to the xorg.conf file...

What version of Ubuntu have you installed? What version of Xfce are you using? Did you install Xubuntu or Xfce on top of Ubuntu?
If an xorg.conf file exists, it will be found at /etc/X11/xorg.conf. Note that it is no longer a requirement. Recent versions of X will also get settings from (in the case of Ubuntu) /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d. See here for more info. This file is secured so that root privledges are required to edit the file. To do so, you need to use the gksudo command. More information here.

So we are using a file "Xconf" in Xfce, that Ubuntu apparently has not been shipped with for several years and I can't find it on the system...

Xfconf is the dbus-based configuration system that Xfce uses. It is not available on the default Ubuntu install, because the default Ubuntu uses Unity. If you install Xubuntu (or Xfce on Ubuntu) it will be installed. To view the Xfconf configuration contents, go to Settings Manager -> Settings Editor. Also note that the actual per-user configuration settings are stored at ~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml.

I have 3 mice registered with it, and 2 of these are long gone - but still showing as "on the system" (operational or not), and a hardware benchmarking program is only showing the MS mouse......

I'd like to find the source of the permanent list, of the mouse types, and delete 2 out of 3 of them.

Do you have the file ~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/pointers.xml? Does it include these mice that you no longer have/want? If so, I would suggest trying the following:
1. Log out
2. Go to the first tty (Ctrl+Alt+F1)
3. Login to the text console
4. Rename the pointers.xml file:

mv ~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/pointers.xml ~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/pointers.xml.BAK

5. Go back to the gui (Ctrl+Alt+F7)
6. Log in and see if it removed the extra mice.

I have just installed 10.04 LTS on my Inspiron 1100 and I really want to get this video driver debacle taken care of!

What video debacle?

Again - the laziness of a few, make huge amounts of work and time wasting for many - which I think many of these little problems, does more to drive people away from Linux, than any other issue.

Linux isn't for everyone. I find to that to successfully use Linux you need patience, resilience and a willingness to learn. Remember, it is created by a group of volunteers on their own time - nothing lazy about that. Its not perfect and the best way to make it better is to contribute.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2013-10-14 18:20:49

puppycutletts
Banned

Re: Many Mouses in Settings, Settings Editor (Xconf), Pointers

I am sorry that my less that sterling editing has lead to some confusion.

I have my issues, and I inserted sections of other posts, by other people, in other forums, to demonstrate the apparent mixed bag of issues it is I am having in wanting to get rid of the 2 extra mouses.

Their first inserted post relates to someone being of the opinion that Xconf having not been included in Ubuntu for several years.

The second inserted post relates to Xconf being stuck in root...

How these issues relate to me, is that I have done about 6 or 7 searches like "mouse" "pointer" "xconf" as file names and as names within files and nothing has turned up.

And yet under the "Settings Editor" - it says "Customise settings by Xconf".

So on one hand I can't find "Xconf".

Another is saying Xconf has not been included - but they have not stated that it's only in Ubuntu with the unity (gak) interface.

And another person is saying it's only in ROOT.... and the Linux zealots say you never need to access that, which is why it's not set up for accessing.

(groans - face on desk)

Sorry for the confusion.

OK I am using Xubuntu 11.10 - with the superior Nautilus file manager, because I am a superior kind of guy. None of this limp wristed Microsoft Egonumbic keyboarding for me. I have the FULL IBM Model M Cross Dressers Kit - Delux Basement Dwelling Linux Model.

OKay back to the directions - if only to recall what I am doing AND to leave a clear trail so that others may follow.

The direction from Mother Superior is:

"If an xorg.conf file exists, it will be found at /etc/X11/xorg.conf. Note that it is no longer a requirement. Recent versions of X will also get settings from (in the case of Ubuntu) /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d."

No - "/etc/X11/xorg.conf".

Yes this exists - "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d."

I will come back and edit / finish this later.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo

Board footer