Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-10-19 00:55:02

allanrps

Volume Indicator Problems

I'll start off by saying that I installed a clean 13.04 Xubuntu build 2 days ago. Since then I have upgraded to 13.10, replaced xfwm4 with gala and made some other adjustments. However, since installation (or upgrade, I am not sure), my volume indicator has not been functioning AND the notification pop-ups for adjusting the volume/screen brightness level are broken (image below). I have all the indicator/volume plugins and notification daemons, but it does not function properly. Also, its quite annoying that the 'Indicator Plugin' and 'Notifications Area', which --if either applications were complete-- serve quite the same purpose, have entirely different themeing. The volume does change with my system keys, and pulseaudio shows the correct volume, but the indicator just doesnt work.

1tfrggVtmrjso6rHiu6frG
Volume indicator is blank, regardless of volume level. Notification pop-ups for volume and screen brightness are broken.

If anybody could help me out, that would be much appreciated.

Another thread with more problems: http://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?pid=30965#p30965

--Allan

--edit to fix image link

Last edited by allanrps (2013-10-20 15:02:26)

#2 2013-10-19 01:05:37

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Volume Indicator Problems

With respect to the volume indicator, this is a known problem . Post #5 here has a workaround that will fix it in the meantime. Be aware that any changes to the sound indicator source may cause this workaround to be over-written forcing you to redo it (until a proper fix is released).

With respect to brightness, you'll need to provide more information. Specifically:
1. The make and model of your computer.
2. Info about your video card(s):

lspci -k | grep -A3 VGA

3. Your backlight interfaces and values:

for i in /sys/class/backlight/*; do echo $i; cat $i/brightness; cat $i/actual_brightness; cat $i/max_brightness; done

The brightness issue is probably more a kernel problem than an Xfce problem.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2013-10-19 01:22:30

allanrps

Sorry, I'm not sure how I missed such an well known solution to the indicator problem. What really gets me, though, is the pop-up indicator problem. It, by the way, is a problem for both volume and brightness. Both functions work, but the pop-up indicator, as shown, is blank. All other pop-up notifications work fine. When I had installed xfce on this same laptop over ubuntu 13.04, the pop-up indicators for volume and brightness worked fine.

1. Toshiba Satellite C655
00:01.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Wrestler [Radeon HD 6310]
    Subsystem: Toshiba America Info Systems Device fde8
    Kernel driver in use: radeon
00:11.0 SATA controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 SATA Controller [AHCI mode]
/sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0
/sys/class/backlight/radeon_bl0

Thanks for the help

--Allan

#4 2013-10-19 01:30:08

ToZ
Administrator

I would first try booting with the acpi_backlight=vendor kernel boot parameter to see if that solves the problem. See here for more information on how.

If that doesn't work, I would look at enabling the proprietary ATI drivers for your video card (you are currently using the opensource radeon drivers). They may help to get the brightness working.

With respect to the sound indicator, once you've applied the "workaround", does the notification indicator work properly again on volume changes?

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find

#5 2013-10-19 01:54:41

allanrps

After the workaround, the panel indicator works but the notification indicator still does not. The same is true for the brightness. I believe that since both the brightness and the volume do adjust correctly, and it is only the notification pop-up that does not, that if there is a solution to the problem, it would be common to both options and would address the notification pop-up rather than the function itself. I will give proprietary drivers a shot.

#6 2013-10-19 03:49:15

allanrps

Changed to proprietary drivers and brightness stopped working. changing back

#7 2013-10-19 13:51:35

ToZ
Administrator

allanrps wrote:

After the workaround, the panel indicator works but the notification indicator still does not. The same is true for the brightness. I believe that since both the brightness and the volume do adjust correctly, and it is only the notification pop-up that does not, that if there is a solution to the problem, it would be common to both options and would address the notification pop-up rather than the function itself. I will give proprietary drivers a shot.

Have you tried changing the notification theme (Settings Manager -> Notifications), and does that make a difference?
Are there any messages in ~/.xsession-errors that might help identify the problem?
And, just to confirm, are you using xfce4-notifyd (as opposed to another notification daemon)?

#8 2013-10-19 15:36:36

allanrps

I have tried changing the notification theme, and it has no effect on the issue. I didn't think that my .xsession-errors were relevant to the issue, but here they are for checking:

openConnection: connect: No such file or directory
cannot connect to brltty at :0
Script for cjkv started at run_im.
Script for default started at run_im.

And yes, I am using xfce4-notifyd.

#9 2013-10-19 16:05:58

ToZ
Administrator

If you do a:

notify-send "This is a test"

...does it display properly in the notification popup?

Maybe try deleting the config file: ~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-notifyd.xml?

#10 2013-10-19 16:11:15

allanrps

it works perfectly. Al my notifications work perfectly except for the volume and brightness bars (and likely any other notification that utilizes bars). I seem to remember it working before the update (???), but I may just be recalling how it worked when I have xfce installed over ubuntu. I updated almost immediately, so i do not remember much.

#11 2013-10-19 17:00:13

ToZ
Administrator

I'm sorry but I am at a loss. Unless someone else had an idea, it might be useful to open a bug report against xfce4-notifyd over at launchpad.net.

#12 2013-10-20 14:58:45

allanrps

I'll go do that. Thanks for the help. By the way, I updated xfce4-notifyd and still having the problem

Board footer