Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-11-05 21:40:51

fervi

Thunar also can be an archiver?

Hello!

I have a idea (but it isn't good in KISS project) to integrate (so, create) archiver inside a Thunar. Something like Windows XP have (zip archiver).
The big problem is to choose a good archiver for Xfce4 - File roller? Xarchiver looks like dead, Squeeze too ...

But Thunar is always alive!

What do you think?

Fervi

#2 2013-11-06 16:00:19

Chazza

Re: Thunar also can be an archiver?

fervi wrote:

Hello!

I have a idea (but it isn't good in KISS project) to integrate (so, create) archiver inside a Thunar. Something like Windows XP have (zip archiver).
The big problem is to choose a good archiver for Xfce4 - File roller? Xarchiver looks like dead, Squeeze too ...

But Thunar is always alive!

What do you think?

Fervi

xarchiver works excellently for me. never had any problems. you'll be pleased to know that xarchiver development is back on.

"Status

12/07/2013:
I'm pleased to announce Xarchiver development has begaaaaaaaaaaaan! Please download the last revision with SVN and give feedback! Only opening ZIP works right now. No add and extract abilities (yet...) "

http://xarchiver.sourceforge.net/

file-roller works perfectly fine as well though I imagine the gnome team will probably have a go at gutting the interface along the lines of nautilus, epiphany etc. there's also a gui for p7zip if you like. I don't really see any need to integrate archive management into thunar though of course you may see things differently. What I think Xfce does need is a bluez5 ready bluetooth applet and perhaps a pdf reader as well though evince is pretty good I guess.

Last edited by Chazza (2013-11-06 16:01:08)

#3 2013-11-06 16:50:44

fervi

Xarchiver is again dead

Xarchiver works nice, but it doesn't have support for 7-zip and some archivers

Fervi

#4 2013-11-08 00:11:42

Jristz

The problemn is now because isn't in xfce goodies many distros going to remove it from goodies and not will receive translations too often.

actually I thing is so early for say live, preffer wait a little for now.
and xarchiver lack spport for lrzip

XFCE :: Arch Linux
:: AMD E-300 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics @ 1300 MHz
:: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Wrestler [Radeon HD 6310]
:: LED with aspect ration of 16:9 in 14.0'' (1366x768) [Radeon driver]

Board footer