Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-12-14 05:29:25

rayandrews

[Solved] panel refuses to attach to the top of a screen

All,

I haven't had a problem with xfce for ages, but one just showed up: I have a three monitor system running LMDE, xfce is 4.8 (that's current at LMDE). Each monitor has it's own panel at the top. Somehow, I managed to detach one of the panels from the top of the screen such that it now sits maybe a centimeter below  the top of the screen, and I can't figure out either how I did that, or what I can do to fix it.  The Panel Preferences box doesn't offer me anything that helps. I have a memory of doing something a bit 'deeper' with the panels, but I can't remember what it was.  IIRC I could set border  widths and stuff like that.  Stuff I've googled suggests that there are more powerful ways to control the panels than the 'Preferences' box, which is pretty simple.  Any thoughts?

#2 2013-12-14 05:40:55

rayandrews

Re: [Solved] panel refuses to attach to the top of a screen

rayandrews wrote:

All,

I haven't had a problem with xfce for ages, but one just showed up: I have a three monitor system running LMDE, xfce is 4.8 (that's current at LMDE). Each monitor has it's own panel at the top. Somehow, I managed to detach one of the panels from the top of the screen such that it now sits maybe a centimeter below  the top of the screen, and I can't figure out either how I did that, or what I can do to fix it.  The Panel Preferences box doesn't offer me anything that helps. I have a memory of doing something a bit 'deeper' with the panels, but I can't remember what it was.  IIRC I could set border  widths and stuff like that.  Stuff I've googled suggests that there are more powerful ways to control the panels than the 'Preferences' box, which is pretty simple.  Any thoughts?

Nuts, I just figured it out.  I hafta drag that little, almost invisible collection of tiny dots.  How come that doesn't show up as an item in the 'Add New Items' box?  What is it anyway?  Sorry about this, I probably knew that at one time, but when there's no trouble, one forgets these things ;-)

#3 2013-12-14 20:10:10

MountainDewManiac

It's just a handle, lol. For moving convenience, I expect. Lock your panel and they'll disappear (no need for handles on immobile objects).

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#4 2013-12-15 02:01:30

rayandrews

MountainDewManiac wrote:

It's just a handle, lol. For moving convenience, I expect. Lock your panel and they'll disappear (no need for handles on immobile objects).

Regards,
MDM

Sure doesn't look like one ;-)  It's so faint here that I hardly see it at all. Strange thing is that on one of my monitors I can just click  and drag the panel by grabbing it anywhere there's no other 'item', but on the other two, the handle seems needed.  I'm quite sure all the panels have the same settings, but the one that moves 'easy' is lower resolution.  Mind I never move them, so that's why, when I did it by accident, I couldn't remember what to do about it. And it seems strange that even when I pick 'move' from the menu, it sill can't be moved w.o. the 'handle', so it seems to me that the 'move' thing isn't much use.

#5 2013-12-15 02:10:39

MountainDewManiac

Not sure. I do not have the move option when I right-click on the panel. Must be due to a change between your version of XFCE and mine (4.10 "+").

Strange about the same panel behaving differently on different monitors. I wouldn't even have a guess on that one, lol.

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

Board footer