Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-12-26 18:27:54

rayandrews

[Solved] Panel items packing to left, not right.

All,

LMDE update yesterday finally bumped me up to xfce 4.10. On first firing, one of my monitor's panels had vanished, but a restart fixed that. So far it's all fine except for one thing. Previously I had all the items on my right monitor panel packed to the left, and all the items on my left monitor panel packed to the right.  This just keeps everything as close together as possible to minimize mouse travel as I switch from one monitor to the other.  However, now I find that my right monitor panel insists on packing everything to the left, and I haven't found a way to change that.  IIRC previously I could just drag things over, but that no longer works. Fixable?

#2 2013-12-26 18:55:13

rayandrews

Re: [Solved] Panel items packing to left, not right.

BTW, I found this:

I can help with the first issue. You need to add a "Separator" to the panel with "Style:Transparent" and "Expand" enabled. Then move it to the left between the icons you want to separate. :wink:

... but it doesn't seem to work here, also there is no such thing as Appearance > Syle > Transparent, I only have 'None' 'Solid color' and  'Background image', and I can't find 'Expand' anywhere.

Last edited by rayandrews (2013-12-26 18:55:48)

#3 2013-12-26 19:08:12

ToZ
Administrator

To add a separator, you need to do it from the Panel configuration dialog. To get to it, right-click the Panel and select Panel->Panel Preferences->Items tab. Click the + to add an item and then add the Separator. Move the separator into place and select the "Edit..." button to make it transparent and/or expanding.

Edit: This might help.

Last edited by ToZ (2013-12-26 19:09:09)

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#4 2013-12-26 19:30:29

rayandrews

Thanks for that ToZ.  Yes, with both Transparent and Expanding separators, I can drag stuff over to the the right now.  But why? Why not just let us drag stuff over anytime? This invisible expanding separator thing seems very unintuitive.

#5 2013-12-26 21:04:09

Jerry3904

Well, finally--I have been struggling with this ever since the upgrade!  "Unintuitive" barely describes it IMHO...

MX-23 (based on Debian Stable) with our flagship Xfce 4.18.

Board footer