Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-12-26 00:46:22

Jerry3904

define defaults for distribution

i am doing a respin that I want to be able to distribute so that the defaults (panel, background, menu, etc) are set to a standard template.  Where is that controlled?  I expected it might be in /etc somewhere, but have not found it yet.  Is there documentation somewhere?

TIA

MX-23 (based on Debian Stable) with our flagship Xfce 4.18.

#2 2013-12-26 01:33:13

ToZ
Administrator

Re: define defaults for distribution

xdg is the directory that contains the default config files.

echo $XDG_CONFIG_DIRS

...on your distro should show it.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2013-12-26 10:58:34

Jerry3904

Thanks a lot!  There is a group of us doing a Community respin for Simply Mepis, and we appreciate the help.

Jerry

#4 2013-12-28 14:09:54

Jerry3904

OK, not getting very far and need to ask for help.  Here is my basic question:

How can a user selection of icons, theme, background, panel, etc. be made default for new users?

I thought I could copy the user config files upstream to /etc/xdg/xfce4/, but that does not seem to work.  I have looked through the Xfce documention and googled like a fool, but not making progress.  If someone could describe the steps that need to be taken, I would be very grateful.  I would also be willing to write a Howto when I am done if that would help, as I have done a great deal of such documentation in the past.

Thanks very much in advance.

#5 2013-12-28 17:15:29

ToZ
Administrator

I thought I could copy the user config files upstream to /etc/xdg/xfce4/, but that does not seem to work.

How did it not work?

Perhaps a better place to put your custom setup configurations would be in /etc/skel (this directory and its contents would be copied over for each new user created).

You'll need all of your wallpaper, icons, theme files, etc placed in system directory (as opposed to a user directory) so new users can access them.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find

#6 2013-12-28 21:30:50

Jerry3904

ToZ wrote:

I thought I could copy the user config files upstream to /etc/xdg/xfce4/, but that does not seem to work.

How did it not work?

Something totally different came up, but I think now an old config file must have interfered.

Perhaps a better place to put your custom setup configurations would be in /etc/skel (this directory and its contents would be copied over for each new user created).

OK. Do I replicate the folder structure of the Home diredctory (my guess) or just dump everything in?

You'll need all of your wallpaper, icons, theme files, etc placed in system directory (as opposed to a user directory) so new users can access them.

Thanks.

Someday a script is going to be written that with a single click collects this all from an install and drops it into /skel...

Last edited by Jerry3904 (2013-12-28 21:32:53)

#7 2013-12-28 22:38:14

ToZ
Administrator

Keep the directory structure - it will all get copied over when the new account is created. Looking forward to this script - it will be interesting to know what you find out.

Board footer