Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-08-24 00:39:24

Z_Tagr

I know what I like!

Hi there!

I am sort of a noob to the Linux world, having just installed my first distro only a few months ago (Slackware 13.37), and I am SOLD on xfce4!

When you install a distro for the first time, you really just go with defaults and / or recommendations, so that is of course what I first did - I installed KDE on my Slackware system. I liked Slackware SO MUCH that I went ahead and installed it on my Toshiba Satellite notebook as well (again, with KDE...).

I had a couple of older PC's that I wanted to install Slackware on as well, but these were alas two old and slow to run Slax...; I tried several other distros with horrendous results until I came across CentOS 5.6 - It installed easily and works great!.

In the CentOS case, I started using Gnome, and I quickly got used to it as well, but then one day I went and started "fooling around" with the different WM's, and got around to trying xfce4. Well, I was HOOKED from moment one!!!

I liked it so much that not only is it my normal dtm on my two Slax systems, but I also HAND-INSTALLED it on my CentOS machines. It was a bit of a struggle (but I LOVE a challenge), but I finally have xfce4 running on ALL FOUR of my PC's!

Anyways, this was to just be saying hi, right? Well, I will just tell ya a little about myself and where I'm from, and then say see-ya...

I am a 45 year-old male living in Assiniboia, Sask., Canada, and I am a total computer geek (have been since I was 12 or so (when DID the Apple 1 come out?). Well, I started on the TRS80 model 1, anyways...

I have worked as a professional software engineer for a company in the SouthWestern Ontario area, and program in assembler, C / C++, Pascal (when I worked on MAC's) and of course BASIC and Visual BASIC...

I have used the GNU tools for quite a while (I have used the DJGPP compiler for DOS, which is a DOS port of GNU C / C++),
but I just really never got around to trying Linux until just recently, when I downloaded a copy of Back-Track 3 LiveCD. I
played with it for a few days and really just fell in love with Linux!

Well, thats about it. I have a couple of questions to post involving xfce, but this is NOT the forum for that!

So, bye for now...

Andre. (Z_Tagr).

#2 2011-08-27 11:04:08

Anzhr

Re: I know what I like!

Welcome, Andre. (Z_Tagr).

Xfce is exactly what I want too.

#3 2014-01-05 07:45:55

jbh911

Re: I know what I like!

Hi Andre. (Z_Tagr)

I've just joined this forum prompted by issues I've had installing Linux on a Toshibe Satellite A-30 laptop. Interestingly initially the only linux distro that I could get to install on the Toshiba was Slackware 12.  I'm now trying to get a LTS version  installed as this Toshiba laptop belongs to a friend who did have Windows XP Pro installled and was keen to try something else and is not computer savy.
I'm not from an IT background, but from HV transmission and distribution of electricity in Victoria, Australia, retired.
Got that anoyed with Microsoft that I went the Linux way some 10 years ago and have never looked back.
I'm now converting others to Linux via the Latrobe Valley U3A!

Cheers John (jbh911)

Board footer