Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-01-28 14:44:16

getut

theme trashed if login via xrdp

Someone please help me. I'm running Mint 16 XFCE and have a 100% fresh install that I'm trying to set up as a Remote Desktop terminal.

If I log in locally, everything is great and the Mint themed XFCE looks like it is supposed to, but if I log in with the same user account with RDP via xrdp, the first time I sign in it asks me if I want the default XFCE environment and it reverts to a 100 percent default XFCE look. If I go back to a local sign in, it is now trashed there also. I can  delete the ~/.config/xfce4 folder and then log back in locally and the full Mint theme is back.

If I just "go with it" and spend the time to configure xfce once it has been trashed, then it really gets weird. If I select the mint-x style and icon themes from the appearance utility, it doesn't change anything in RDP, but if I go back to a local sign in, I can see that it changed to the Mint stuff.

It is like some component necessary to display certain things isn't getting started when I log in via RDP. Anyone have any ideas?

#2 2014-01-28 16:23:56

ToZ
Administrator

Re: theme trashed if login via xrdp

How did you setup/configure xrdp?

On Xubuntu, installing xrdp and adding:

startxfce4

...to ~/.xsession allows the connection to occur with all the configuration options intact except compositing (which I think doesn't work with the rdp protocol because it doesn't support 32-bit colour depths?).

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2014-01-28 17:51:46

getut

I did not do it with .xsession until I tried it from your post. It didn't change anything.

I had already found a similar thread on another forum that suggested doing the same thing you suggested except to do it in a .Xclients file. Neither file changed anything.

I have 3 "environments" I am running programs in.

1) A freshly reset LOCAL signon (i.e. I have just deleted ~/.config/xfce4)
In this environment everything seems to work fine.

2) An RDP session that trashes the config.
In this environment the "theme" is wrong and I have newly discovered symptoms in that some programs will not run. LibreOffice calc crashes the RDP session for instance.

3) A LOCAL signon AFTER the config has been trashed
Sometimes calc and other programs will not start in here.

This one is kicking my butt.

#4 2014-01-28 19:37:58

ToZ
Administrator

When you make the connection, you are prompted with an xrdp dialog box. Are you selecting the default "sesman-Xvnc" module?

Also, try creating a new user and logging in once to create the profile. While there, create the .xsession file and try another attempt at creating a connection. Maybe some other file is causing the corruption.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find

#5 2014-01-28 22:12:18

ToZ
Administrator

Some more info:

I tried with an earlier version of Xubuntu (13.10) and noticed the same problem you are having. My earlier test was with 14.04. That being said, the versions of xrdp and tightvncserver are the same between the two version, but the Xfce version is different (4.10 vs 4.11). Perhaps something is fixed somewhere in Xfce in 4.11 (one of the Xfce components?) that makes it work.

What version of Xfce is in Mint 16?

#6 2014-01-28 22:23:20

ToZ
Administrator

And some more info (after having a closer look at my 4.10 system):

Looks like its an issue with xfsettingsd. The program crashes in Xfce 4.10 with:

RANDR extension is too old, version 1.1. Display settings won't be applied

...and

xfsettingsd-CRITICAL **: XI is not present

Apparently this is fixed in Xfce 4.11 as it seems to work.

Board footer