Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-03-05 17:33:29

teal

[Solved] xfce4-terminal doesn't display colors correctly.

I noticed that xfce terminal doesn't interpret terminal control escape sequences correctly. For example, according to a documentation at http://www.termsys.demon.co.uk/vtansi.htm, the following command should print characters (a bunch of spaces in this case) with yellow background:

echo -e "\e[43m                   \e[0m"

Instead of that it prints something similar to brown (#aa5500, defined in various places as "dark orange (brown tone)").
xterm does the correct thing here, and prints something that indeed looks like yellow (#cdcd00).

In both cases TERM was defined as 'xterm' (not that it is supposed to matter, the same thing happens when I use vte, vte-2007/8, dumb or even unset TERM completely).
The problem is not only with this particular color - a number of other colors look different than in xterm, and since in at least one instance xfce terminal (or maybe it will be more correct to say Gnome's VTE library) is wrong, I suppose it is wrong in other cases as well.

Is there some way to fix this problem?

#2 2014-03-05 18:06:35

ToZ
Administrator

Re: [Solved] xfce4-terminal doesn't display colors correctly.

It seems that if you go to Preferences->Colors->Presets and change the preset to "Tango", you get more appropriate colors.
Note: you can print out a color-table for comparisons sake by running:

xfce4-terminal --color-table

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2014-03-05 20:21:34

teal

Re: [Solved] xfce4-terminal doesn't display colors correctly.

Thanks, that is exactly what I needed. Actually, 'XTerm' preset is almost identical to xterm's colors (except small variation in blue).

Board footer